Rain water and Pond Ph

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are in the middle of a tropical depression hovering over my pond in Miami. The Ph in my pond is usually 7.6-7.8. Rainwater has a Ph of about 5.5-6.0. We are expecting up to 8 inches of rain over the next 24 hours. Should I be concerned about the Ph shift over a short period time? My pond is 2,500 gallons. I will test the PH after the storm passes but just wanted to check in and see if anyone here has had a similar situation. If the Ph has dropped significantly is baking soda the correct additive for the pond and how much?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 2.00.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 2.00.17 PM.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Beautifu! I’m in north FL and we had seven inches in 24 hrs. last week. My pH barely moved. I routinely use rainwater to top off my pond. Did you have any trouble with it during last year’s summer rains?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we are expecting a lot if rain I go ahead and boost the KH with baking soda before it rains. That prevents any drop in pH.

The pH in my pond will definitely drop with heavy rain so I would rather be proactive than try to correct it afterwards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do the same as WaterGardener & make sure the kh is nice & high. After any significant rain events I also recheck the kh to see if I need to add any additional baking soda then as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautifu! I’m in north FL and we had seven inches in 24 hrs. last week. My pH barely moved. I routinely use rainwater to top off my pond. Did you have any trouble with it during last year’s summer rains?
No. This is the first big rain I get after finishing it. I completed it about 8 months ago. I have been using tap water to top it off with chlorine remover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When we are expecting a lot if rain I go ahead and boost the KH with baking soda before it rains. That prevents any drop in pH.

The pH in my pond will definitely drop with heavy rain so I would rather be proactive than try to correct it afterwards.

Ok good info. Thanks! By KH I assume you mean Carbonate Hardness? If so then its at a healthy 120 before the rain.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: Initial KH was 150. It dropped to about 60 after all the rain. I researched that at that value it is too low to buffer the Ph effectively so I added 2 cups baking soda today. Will re-check tomorrow and add more if still low. From what I have researched 150-200 is a good number to be at. I will be buying more baking soda as it rains a lot here in the summer! To all that answered thanks for the help. I had never had this situation come up yet and it was a good learning experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have Costco stores, they sell large bags of baking soda, 10 pounds or so, for a very reasonable price. Much less expensive than the little boxes from the grocery store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you have Costco stores, they sell large bags of baking soda, 10 pounds or so, for a very reasonable price. Much less expensive than the little boxes from the grocery store.
Our Walmart carries 12# bags of it in the outdoor garden (pool supply) area during the summer. I usually buy a couple to have on hand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do the same as WaterGardener & make sure the kh is nice & high. After any significant rain events I also recheck the kh to see if I need to add any additional baking soda then as well.
And what is high kh I just tested and kh was 9 gh was 7

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And what is high kh I just tested and kh was 9 gh was 7
If you mean the kh tested out at 9 drops that's a nice number. I don't have my kit in front of me but, iirc, that puts the level in the 150 - 160ish range (I generally try to keep it between 100 - 200, definitely no lower than 100)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes 9 drops . Thanks and that's doing nothing to help boost or maintain sweet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not all of us are as fortunate.

I keep the KH in my pond around 200, but will boost it as high as 300 if heavy rain is expected.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do oyster shells help to boost

Ask a Question