Rash purchase of fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally been out and purchased some goldfish instead of waiting for free ones from a family members neighbour whom has lost a couple anyhow since promising me some a couple of weeks ago.
Not having researched these fish, I may have made a blunder by accepting the limited advice from the shop assistant. I asked if the Oranda goldfish can be kept in a 230 gallon pond outdoors and be happy with a constant water pump fountain going and a 1000ltr/hr small waterfall 6-12hrs /day. We disgust water temp in the tank in the shop and the possibility of an increase in my pond temperature, but no advice was given over winter temperatures and having googled the species it seems they ain't too keen on temperatures under 20°c, like that's gunna happen for sure in UK even on the west coast, as my pond is only 22inches deep my fears are their going to struggle, Anyone familiar with these goldfish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Hopefully someone from the UK or a similar climate to where you are from can chime in, but in the mean time here is an article that seems to touch on some of your concerns. I don't know where in the UK you are and that sounds like that's a big factor in whether or not this can work for you. If your winter conditions are too harsh are you able to bring them indoors for the winter into a large aquarium? If not, perhaps better to return them until you really get things sorted out. Weren't you having some sort of pump issues anyway, or did I imagine that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone from the UK or a similar climate to where you are from can chime in, but in the mean time here is an article that seems to touch on some of your concerns. I don't know where in the UK you are and that sounds like that's a big factor in whether or not this can work for you. If your winter conditions are too harsh are you able to bring them indoors for the winter into a large aquarium? If not, perhaps better to return them until you really get things sorted out. Weren't you having some sort of pump issues anyway, or did I imagine that?

Thanks for your response prior to clicking the Web page, I may already have seen it but will get back with extra thanks if it confirms my fears or alleviates them.
Regards to the pump, I think it's got to be the responsible thing to do now with these new residents, as they do reportedly increase the waste load on the pond and presumably without constant fast cycling /hr during the summer months will the bio load be too much in the average 8ft by 3ft at 22in depth with quite a partial shade during most of the day, only lilies and a few rushes

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_102746.jpg
    IMG_20210719_102746.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Yep feel better over the freezing situation,

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm newer myself and limited on "official" knowledge, but you can always bring them in for the winter; guess I'd use the pond water and transfer to a proper aquarium OR get inexpensive tubs that can be used, then run quality filters and a small pond-like pump or get "aquarium" stuff and pay more. Have to learn the water parameters for what makes those fish happy though. If it sounds like too much work, consider rehoming them. Take a loss if needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm newer myself and limited on "official" knowledge, but you can always bring them in for the winter; guess I'd use the pond water and transfer to a proper aquarium OR get inexpensive tubs that can be used, then run quality filters and a small pond-like pump or get "aquarium" stuff and pay more. Have to learn the water parameters for what makes those fish happy though. If it sounds like too much work, consider rehoming them. Take a loss if needed.
I'm thinking of toughing it out with them if I can believe a thread from a guy in southern England whom supposedly keeps his Orandas in a shallow pond over winter and has had ice on the surface n they still live,
I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a new filter to pump my waterfall constantly instead of relying on the sun and will use the solar pump for aeration only, that's the plan. Because of shade in autumn I'm expecting less o2 and more consumption from my growing fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have finally been out and purchased some goldfish instead of waiting for free ones from a family members neighbour whom has lost a couple anyhow since promising me some a couple of weeks ago.
Not having researched these fish, I may have made a blunder by accepting the limited advice from the shop assistant. I asked if the Oranda goldfish can be kept in a 230 gallon pond outdoors and be happy with a constant water pump fountain going and a 1000ltr/hr small waterfall 6-12hrs /day. We disgust water temp in the tank in the shop and the possibility of an increase in my pond temperature, but no advice was given over winter temperatures and having googled the species it seems they ain't too keen on temperatures under 20°c, like that's gunna happen for sure in UK even on the west coast, as my pond is only 22inches deep my fears are their going to struggle, Anyone familiar with these goldfish?
Hi so in general fancy goldfish that have long tails or ones that swim slower than the rest don’t do as well in ponds over the winter, but that’s a generalization and every pond is different I tried a few and it didn’t work out, but that was quite a while ago. Also we are significantly colder than by you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so in general fancy goldfish that have long tails or ones that swim slower than the rest don’t do as well in ponds over the winter, but that’s a generalization and every pond is different I tried a few and it didn’t work out, but that was quite a while ago. Also we are significantly colder than by you.
When you tried some kieth did you already have single tail fish in that water coz if so, you probably know that would of played a part in it not working out with the fancies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When you tried some kieth did you already have single tail fish in that water coz if so, you probably know that would of played a part in it not working out with the fancies
Hi. Yes I had a bunch of comets and shubunkins. So obviously the single tail goldfish are much faster than the fancies and get to the food faster so there is less for the fancies to eat, but I also discovered that the fancies were not as hearty in the Chicago winter as the other fish. I think early on I experimented with orandas and that did not go well. A few years later I tried a few watonais. They are really pretty and expensive goldfish which I had shipped to me from Hawaii. I had looked at them online for a long time before buying them so needless to say it was pretty disappointing to lose them :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Yes I had a bunch of comets and shubunkins. So obviously the single tail goldfish are much faster than the fancies and get to the food faster so there is less for the fancies to eat, but I also discovered that the fancies were not as hearty in the Chicago winter as the other fish. I think early on I experimented with orandas and that did not go well. A few years later I tried a few watonais. They are really pretty and expensive goldfish which I had shipped to me from Hawaii. I had looked at them online for a long time before buying them so needless to say it was pretty disappointing to lose them :(
Hopefully my haste to get the fancies doesn't end in tears, today they seemed fairly happy feeding with their single tailed companion among all the other darting Park lake tiddlers.
I'm currently trying to get the pond a lot clearer so I can view more easier if there's any nipping going on. At present the park fish are very small which is proberbly in my favour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hopefully my haste to get the fancies doesn't end in tears, today they seemed fairly happy feeding with their single tailed companion among all the other darting Park lake tiddlers.
I'm currently trying to get the pond a lot clearer so I can view more easier if there's any nipping going on. At present the park fish are very small which is proberbly in my favour.
They are cute! Good luck with them.

Ask a Question