Rat(s) steeling goldfish

Reaction score
Hello and thanks all for the suggested abduction culprits. Bandicoots muskrats etc are out we dont have them here is Australia. Kingfishers do live in Aust but have only ever seen them in a national park around permanent streams where a consistant foodsource is present.I have had fish for only 3 wks, the top and sides to my fernery/pond are completely enclosed by shadecloth ruling out 100% any bird activity. I live in suburbia no snakes, never ever seen one. Feral cats, well there is once a yr or so 1 that may be in my area but I have a cat of my own and would know if a ferral is around the house as they would fight. My cat is sooo lazy if a sparrow is on the ground it just "chatters" at it but since he is now 14yrs old cant be bothered chasing the bird.I am extremely doubtful he would go to the trouble of getting his paws wet at a chance of getting a feed when he has food in his bowl and going to the longwinded trouble of sitting pondside for hrs to catch 3 fish is just not a possibility. He has the attention span of a.... well a goldfish. I will keep a lookout.

Reaction score
Jabaris,

Yeah, I overlooked the fact that your location was in Australia. That rules out all the critters I suggested since they are North American species.
You probably have some animals which would forage for fish down there, though. Can you think of any?

I still rule out the rat as a culprit. For the main reason that they are generally considered herbivores. Main staple of diet being grains.

It might be a worthwile investment to get a game cam on your pond. You never know, the sushi chef down the block might be the culprit afterall! Ha Ha!

The worst scenario I can think of is, if you have expensive Koi, could someone - a person - be stealing them?

Gordy

Reaction score
You say the top and sides of the pergola are completely covered. I assume then there must be a door for you to get in. Could the door have been left open? Were there holes dug under the screen that led you to suspect a rat?

The human thief started as a joke, but is looking likelier.

Ask a Question