6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is easy to get discouraged when you first start planning because you start looking at various ponds and think there is no way you could do that. The best thing to do is think about what you want because that in the end is all that matters, you are not trying impress neighbors, friends or anyone on this forum. Start reading threads on this forum and you will realize that people building ponds come from all types of backgrounds. I am like you in having a desk job, no one would think a lawyer would build a pond himself (especially @GBBUDD , lol). Is my pond a showcase? Nope but I love it and everyone that comes to see it is impressed. That is what you quickly realize, that it is not common to build ponds so when people come to look at it and see that you did it yourself they are amazed.
Take the time to look at various build threads here and you take ideas from each one. Lots of videos on Youtube on pond builds. You will never find any one build that is just like yours, so you just try to fit ideas into what you are trying to do.
As for the retaining wall and how to build around that, it is a little tricky. You are getting into structural issues that you obviously have to be careful with and taking advice from a public forum from people that have not looked at the property in person (that is the lawyer in me talking lol). Maybe ask friends and family if they know any engineers/contractors that might be willing to look at the area and give you some ideas on how to build it properly. My look around it seems like people use cinder blocks, concrete and re-bars. And some do dry stacking. Depends on how big the wall is.
You are getting several ideas here from different people because we all see great potential in your site and think you could have something really nice so we dont want you to get discouraged. Cost is definitely a concern for most people, again you will see a lot of ideas on here on how to save money, not everyone on here is independently wealthy.
This is one video on youtube that I found for you, but if you search there you will find a few more about retaining walls.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well i have been known to go a tad over board. but i think you know the answer to the retaining walls question. They need a solid footing both directly below them and off to the side and below. Those are true grade retaining walls which is why i recommended building up a couple courses. Unfortunately every hill is slowly slipping and eroding. Most take years to see a change. If you go over four feet tall your stresses multiply. So it really depends on your soil type.

Starting off building up on that lower retaining wall will bring your first drop where the bottom of the rake is up above the footing of your wall and the drop will then be away from the footing. thus not compromising your patio. Again depending on soil type will dictate how far you need to stay away from the footing, if you can keep away 4' you should be pretty good with most soil types. You can build retaining walls within the pond but once you go that road your now talking some engineering and if you fall short it may cost big dollars down the road when everything starts to slip.

My patio was flush with grade and because i brought the pond right to the Patio i had to create a retaining wall.

The best part to your lot is you can easily add on at anytime. a simple over lap of liner can control the water without seaming . The only thing you'll want to do is leave yourself some extra liner to tuck away on edging so you can make your overlaps latter. i recommend a foot,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo , surprisingly is 100% correct ! " SORRY HE STILL AMAZES ME HE'S AN HONEST LAWYER. WHO'S NOT AFFRAID TO GET HIS OWN HANDS DIRTY" And has my respect. " note the timing of the caps dropping." Online has every walk of life with all sorts of great ideas for YOUR project. And LEAVE you with the repercussions down the road if things fail.
I have been a builder over 45 years now so take that for what it's worth. and on my first build had retaining walls negative edge, mafia blocks and wood retaining walls. All mixed in the project. i am not an engineer but i do have school of hard knocks. And got Aquascapes attention on my first build so i guess i did something right.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo , surprisingly is 100% correct ! " SORRY HE STILL AMAZES ME HE'S AN HONEST LAWYER. WHO'S NOT AFFRAID TO GET HIS OWN HANDS DIRTY" And has my respect. " note the timing of the caps dropping." Online has every walk of life with all sorts of great ideas for YOUR project. And LEAVE you with the repercussions down the road if things fail.
I have been a builder over 45 years now so take that for what it's worth. and on my first build had retaining walls negative edge, mafia blocks and wood retaining walls. All mixed in the project. i am not an engineer but i do have school of hard knocks. And got Aquascapes attention on my first build so i guess i did something right.
OMG that must have killed you to say that. I will have to go back to saying something stupid to make the world align right again;)
@PondWish whatever you do not use any natural logs to decorate your pond and dont plant pitcher plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OMG that must have killed you to say that. I will have to go back to saying something stupid to make the world align right again;)
@PondWish whatever you do not use any natural logs to decorate your pond and dont plant pitcher plants.
What are you doing the poor person doesn't know your full of it. the pond wouldn't
be half what it is with out them.

told you before i use to ask the dumb questions now i give dumb answers

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has drainage or structural advice for turning what is currently a 2 tiered retaining wall area into a waterfall area. Please focus only on the section outlined in blue. We are planning a large garden pond and to use the dirt dug from the pond to regrade the hill into a waterfall/ stream. The water feature will not go to the edge of the fence! The outline is just for landscaping reasons.

OK, so the idea here is to use the existing grade (away from the patio) as the slope for a stream and waterfall? Yes, I know everyone is going to say that the waterfall should face the patio. Usually that's the way one would orient a pond. On the other hand, you can always build a new patio later on at the other end to face the falls.

@GBBUDD would be the one to advise you on the structural issues, as he's got years of experience. But from your second photo later in this thread, it looks like you could simply step down through your existing retaining wall, making the topmost step into a bog filter with overflow into the pond via a couple of short drops. The pressure of the rocks and water inside the liner would give some pushback to the tendency of the hill to slump.

However, you could add further stability by adding a wall of cinderblocks just off the patio. @GBBud and @combatwombat can give you some good tips on doing that without needing construction experience. My own quick-and-dirty technique is to stack the cinderblocks, pound a couple of pieces of rebar through the centers into the ground, and then pour in a mix of dirt and cement and sprinkle it with water. Such advanced building methods are a staple here at Grandma Yael's Construction Inc.

For drainage, if you live in an area with a high water table, you may need a French drain under the pond, especially if you plan on going very deep. But if you're well above the water table, it may be enough simply to build up the edges so they're some 15-20 cm above the surrounding soil. Drainage on the slope near the patio is easier to manage, as you can build a rockery around the waterfall to carry the water away from the pond (or toward it, if you use rainwater to top it up).

On the third hand... Your situation is very similar to mine setting out. I have a patio over a yard that slopes away and then drops off a cliff (quite literally). My overall slope is similar to yours, but instead of a retaining wall, the whole yard just sort of slouched off toward one corner of the property, where erosion was gradually carrying it away down the cliff. At first glance it seemed that using the existing slope as the waterfall would simplify things. But then, I realized that I could save myself a lot of digging if I put the deep end just off the patio and used the spoils to build a low berm around the far end. As a 60+ year old granny, the less digging I had to do in our rocky excuse for soil, the better!

In your case, if you did decide to turn the design around, it might actually simplify the project in the same way - you've already got your deep end right there below the patio with very little digging needed (other than to carve out part of your current retaining walls). The spoils of the dig can go to the other end and the sides to build up the edges around the shallower zones.

That would also resolve the issue of drainage and support for the patio, as you could leave the back part of the retaining wall (just below the patio) in place, carving out only part of the steps. The rocks and water pushing against the liner would provide some support to the patio, but you could add a wall of cinder blocks outside the liner as extra support. Drainage for the pond would also be less of an issue, as you would be building up the edges above the surrounding yard, while the floor of the pond wouldn't be much below the current level of the ground. If you decided to go this route, a stock tank bog or something similar could provide your filtration, with a return to the pond via a stream.

But whichever way you decide to build it, you've got the perfect palette for pond building there! And as others have said, you can always build something now, add onto it as time and budget allow.

Ask a Question