Re-hibernating goldfish during winter

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,
first time posting here, but I could use advice.

Few days ago I was testing water (NH3/4, NO2, NO3 levels) and I noticed one fish was floating upside down with massive swollen belly. I decided to bring her slowly from hibernation to get her digestion working again. I moved her to bucket with airstone, warmed the water from original 2-3°C (36F) to 15° (59F) slowly over 2-3 days, fed her some peas. After reading some threads here (like: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/goldfish-with-huge-belly-but-no-pineconing-of-scales.10235/) I was nearly ready to finish her. Next day she was swiming belly down, it maybe got even little smaller and she is definitelly more vital.

So for now I am carefully optimistic, I will keep her for some time on peas diet and will see.

The question is: Is it ok to put goldfish to hibernation again? Can she handle it? (twice per winter). How long should I wait (once/if she is gets to full health)?
Keeping her in bucket until spring is not impossible but complicated (no filtration, space.... etc)

About setup:
280l tank with few goldfish of different age - I had one loss and my workmate wanted to get rid of some young so I took them. At first it was indoor aquaponics for a few years but this year I had to move everything outside. So it's their first real winter after years (in lifetime :S).

Thanks for any tips :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fish don't hibernate in the classic sense. Metabolically they respond to water temperature so in theory there's no issue with returning the fish to the pond, if you can slowly reverse the process. However if this fish is already stressed, doing so could spell disaster. If it were me, I'd keep it inside until spring. Get a small tank set up if you can and make your life easier, and enjoy seeing your fish all winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree that the fish should stay indoors until spring.

You don't even have to use a standard aquarium. Plastic storage bins come in all sizes and work well for housing fish indoors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1640019855648.gif
@Chlupac
I agree for peace of mind I would keep the fish indoors where you can watch it closely and do what's needed if anything should go awry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll join the chorus; I wouldn't take that chance, esp if easy to just have her/him be inside with you for the season. Even in spring, I'd wait until WATER temp was within 10F (and over 55F) of what you have inside now, then very very very slowly acclimate back.

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, agree with all above!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
first time posting here, but I could use advice.

Few days ago I was testing water (NH3/4, NO2, NO3 levels) and I noticed one fish was floating upside down with massive swollen belly. I decided to bring her slowly from hibernation to get her digestion working again. I moved her to bucket with airstone, warmed the water from original 2-3°C (36F) to 15° (59F) slowly over 2-3 days, fed her some peas. After reading some threads here (like: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/goldfish-with-huge-belly-but-no-pineconing-of-scales.10235/) I was nearly ready to finish her. Next day she was swiming belly down, it maybe got even little smaller and she is definitelly more vital.

So for now I am carefully optimistic, I will keep her for some time on peas diet and will see.

The question is: Is it ok to put goldfish to hibernation again? Can she handle it? (twice per winter). How long should I wait (once/if she is gets to full health)?
Keeping her in bucket until spring is not impossible but complicated (no filtration, space.... etc)

About setup:
280l tank with few goldfish of different age - I had one loss and my workmate wanted to get rid of some young so I took them. At first it was indoor aquaponics for a few years but this year I had to move everything outside. So it's their first real winter after years (in lifetime :S).

Thanks for any tips :)
How is your fish doing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OMG!!!! Be ye tellin' the pond world Mayank is a bit detached???? NO F-in way, JDUB: he's got royalty in his blood, the scion of emperors, patents showing blue runs in his veins from centuries on down. Why, I believe if YOU and the BOSS hadn't already claimed them there titles, well, no doubt Maynank would be ruling the Hallowed Halls of GPF all the way down PAST CW's lil room, where the screaming never stops! He's like caviar to our baked beans, he's Godiva chocolate to our hersheys...hes', he's, he's....oh, never mind--it's already written so I don't NEED to enlighten the rest of the Pond Kingdom, now do I???

So, methinks you should get down offn that spindly throne and prostrate yerself before Good King Mayank, Royalty Emeritus! and not be calling him addled! :p

(don't worry @Mayank ; the subchap has yer back! We're like ninjas, protecting the emperor! with a lil crazy thrown in!!)

View attachment 145579View attachment 145580View attachment 145581
stninja.gif
stninja.gif
stninja.gif
stninja.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
OMG!!!! Be ye tellin' the pond world Mayank is a bit detached???? NO F-in way, JDUB: he's got royalty in his blood, the scion of emperors, patents showing blue runs in his veins from centuries on down. Why, I believe if YOU and the BOSS hadn't already claimed them there titles, well, no doubt Maynank would be ruling the Hallowed Halls of GPF all the way down PAST CW's lil room, where the screaming never stops! He's like caviar to our baked beans, he's Godiva chocolate to our hersheys...hes', he's, he's....oh, never mind--it's already written so I don't NEED to enlighten the rest of the Pond Kingdom, now do I???

So, methinks you should get down offn that spindly throne and prostrate yerself before Good King Mayank, Royalty Emeritus! and not be calling him addled! :p

(don't worry @Mayank ; the subchap has yer back! We're like ninjas, protecting the emperor! with a lil crazy thrown in!!)

View attachment 145579View attachment 145580View attachment 145581View attachment 145582View attachment 145583View attachment 145584View attachment 145585
After all, Someone declares, "not every pond in MI has a loon."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After all, Someone declares, "not every pond in MI has a loon."
ya mean I wasn't being obtuse enough???? You MUST be a MI girl at heart, I betcha! Might have to annex the Fla subchapter if this proves out! :cool::p:oops::rolleyes:;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

View attachment 145579View attachment 145580View attachment 145581View attachment 145582View attachment 145583View attachment 145584View attachment 145585
Not @Mayank, aimed at little old you my dueling lil crazy thrown in friend and I shall not prostrate myself before anyone, well other than my good mate hubby..............oh boy this is getting a bit unusual even here to say the least. I don't think I have a prostrate or is that prostate :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not @Mayank, aimed at little old you my dueling lil crazy thrown in friend and I shall not prostrate myself before anyone, well other than my good mate hubby..............oh boy this is getting a bit unusual even here to say the least. I don't think I have a prostrate or is that prostate :D
@Mayank ; G'wan, ol kingly buddy, hit her wit yer mitten-shaped staff of wisdom! mmmmuuuaaaaawwwwaaahhhhh!

Ask a Question