Read this before buying bio-filters for indoor habitats...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just jumping in here, but I have planted tanks. Just gravel in the bottom, lots of plants. And they keep growing and I divide them and give them away. My tanks used to be quite crowded, but I've moved a lot of fish (live breeders). Tanks have been operating for 5plus years. At this point, I hardly even clean them. Maybe every quarter I clean them. Not a smidge of algae any where.

Fish are fine. Some I've had for the whole 5 years.

I would like to know more about your planted tank, but I don't want to derail the OP's thread.
I have another thread going about systems with a substrate, if you are interested in contributing to it.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/soil-substrate-pond.17305/

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just jumping in here, but I have planted tanks. Just gravel in the bottom, lots of plants. And they keep growing and I divide them and give them away. My tanks used to be quite crowded, but I've moved a lot of fish (live breeders). Tanks have been operating for 5plus years. At this point, I hardly even clean them. Maybe every quarter I clean them. Not a smidge of algae any where.

Fish are fine. Some I've had for the whole 5 years.
for the love of plants.. my planted tank is not going anywhere.. all the plants i got are just there, got mold/algae on the leaves then die..... :cry: I dont know what I did wrong.....

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I have a 55 gallon and dont have gravel because I just feel like it's easier to keep clean. How do you keep your gravel clean? (my crayfish would probably like gravel and my plants too)
I have 2 goldfish and about 10 small other tropical fish. I just added one more goldfish (from my pond) in there so now I have 3 large goldfish in there (i might move one to the pond, will see.. if the days get warmer i'll move him)

When i do water change , with no gravel it's so easy to see the muck..

I know that beneficial bacteria colonize everywhere so i have some rocks but mostly bare bottom.
Member 'fish pond den' made an interesting gravel vac, look for the "post pictures" thread. Vacuuming the substrate was finally made my tanks successful. I believe in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Member 'fish pond den' made an interesting gravel vac, look for the "post pictures" thread. Vacuuming the substrate was finally made my tanks successful. I believe in it.
@peter hillman
We converted an ehien 2217 canister filter into our tanks vacuum cleaner peter, all you need do it attach the cannister filter to a gravel syphon then slowly clean the gravel moving across the tank in sections .
What using this method of cleaning a tank did for us , well you've seen just how clean our indoor koi setup was and how spotlessly clean it was.
Thats how we did it , what it does is give you control of the water prior to you draining the tank for a waterchange .
Once the gravel is clean then drain the tank part way to the amount of water you need change simply by adding the syphon tube to a hose pipe to drain the tank .
Once its drained to the required level or gallonage all you need do is top the tank up again .
We created a "Y" piece out of garden hose and a "Y" connector both ends you attach equal lengths of hose which allows you to match water temperature of the tank via your hot and cold taps once equal then allow the tank to fill up via the hose givening you complete control over your tank and its cleaning.
I sure hope this helps you some

Dave

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
@peter hillman
We converted an ehien 2217 canister filter into our tanks vacuum cleaner peter, all you need do it attach the cannister filter to a gravel syphon then slowly clean the gravel moving across the tank in sections .
What using this method of cleaning a tank did for us , well you've seen just how clean our indoor koi setup was and how spotlessly clean it was.
Thats how we did it , what it does is give you control of the water prior to you draining the tank for a waterchange .
Once the gravel is clean then drain the tank part way to the amount of water you need change simply by adding the syphon tube to a hose pipe to drain the tank .
Once its drained to the required level or gallonage all you need do is top the tank up again .
We created a "Y" piece out of garden hose and a "Y" connector both ends you attach equal lengths of hose which allows you to match water temperature of the tank via your hot and cold taps once equal then allow the tank to fill up via the hose givening you complete control over your tank and its cleaning.
I sure hope this helps you some

Dave
Been a few years since I've had a tank now. I remember the Ehein being the filter I really wanted, for that reason you've described, a very versatile unit,but the cost at the time was out of my fish budget. The way I did my temp adjustments was.... 13 gallon trash can filled with fresh treated water the night before change day, a heater placed in with it. My 'fresh water' temp was nearly identical to tank temp with de-chlor added the day before. This worked well for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
oh alright.... i just ordered substrate for my tank... and also $150+ worth of more plants....:oops:

Ask a Question