Recommend me a Pump & ?Filter please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can you recommend me a pump for a 2.4m x 1.5m x 1m raised pond, ideally I want a low wattage one, so I understand that I may have to go for a slightly dearer model and while I'm asking how about a filter to go with it? My plan is to setup a 'bog filter' set on side of pond with waterfall return, but will I need a secondary filter too. Fish wise I'm thinking a couple of small goldfish to start the filter process off and later maybe a couple of small Koi.

Thanks
Tony

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Laguna brand makes lower wattage ones. I bought mine at Webb's online store but other places like Amazon carry them also.

I would forget about koi and just stick w/a few goldfish in that small of a pond. Shubunkins are a pretty kind of goldfish and look like koi but smaller.

Shubbies1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed skip the koi it is so much easier to have gold fish and not all gold fish are the ones we had in a bowl when we were kids . LOOK AROUND A Gold fish with colors like a koi can actually be more expensive than koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Shubunkins and goldfish it is !

But back to my original question- any more suggestions for a low wattage pump? -

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes. J.w mentioned Laguna. I think my pond is about half the size of yours. 4 by 3.5 ft and 18 in. high. I was new to this hobby last spring and I,m happy that I found this pump. Easy to assemble, easy to maintain. Versatile, comes with 2 different adjustable fountain heads. Has 2 underwater valves so you can run another water feature ( waterfall? ) if wanted. 2 stage filter, sponge and bio brick. also a uv light that is removable. It does everything I need it to do. I have the multi 1000 rated for 1000 gallons but you may want to consider the larger one. Same pump but double filters and rated for more gallons. Mine runs 24/7 all summer and I haven't noticed a blip in my hydro bill. I can't comment on the larger model.
My 3 goldfish have grown from feeder fish size, 1-2 in. to 5-6 in. in a year and a half.

Attachments

• 20230714_214715[371]pump.jpg
    20230714_214715[371]pump.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
AIO products are quite nice, but I would say a pressurized/flow through filter is easier to handle in the long term or a bog filter. For me, this also made it I couldn't see the fish a lot of the time, but that's just nozzle setting, it also takes up space in the pond.

I had a filter like this, but since changed to a flow through one which has been easier to deal with, and the pump of course takes much less space in the pond.

If you want to do a bog filter, then this kind of AIO product will be unnecessary. There is no need for a secondary filter, but I guess it'd depend on the load, if it's some goldfish then I don't think so. And a bog filter properly sized is more than enough, even these commercial filters are many times.

Watch some video from Ozponds on Youtube, he explains it pretty well.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I second the suggestion by @dinm about the Ozponds videos. They're extremely informative and will show you how to build various types of filters, including bog filters of different sizes.

Kev from Ozponds also recommends using low voltage pumps to save on electricity, and because he often swims in his ponds. I've looked into buying something similar, and they aren't all that pricey. Probably even less in the UK than where I live (Israel).

I bought a Laguna 16,500 liter pump, as it was the only one that claimed to have a variable wattage. I have no easy way to measure how much power it's actually drawing though. So far, the pump has run continuously for the past year without issues. Depending on how high your bog and waterfall will be, you could probably get away with a smaller pump than the one I bought.

Ask a Question