Pump Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
Canada
First time ponder so I have no experience with any given brand of pump. I’m nearing completion of the build and it’s time to get the pump that matches my needs - ~2,300 GPH at 9’ of head.

I’d prefer to go asynchronous/mag-drive to save on hydro. I’ve done a narrow search so far and came across a couple models:

Aquascape Aquasurge 3000
Laguna Max-flo 4280

Just wondering if anybody has experience with either of these pumps or the companies that make them or other companies/models all-together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have 2 Danner pumps and would recommend them; one has been going for 10 years now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've only used Aquascape pumps and have been happy with them - we've got two that have been in use for 9 and 10 years respectively. Needed two new pumps this spring for two new projects and bought Aquascape.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Good to hear the Aquascape reliability is there. I’ll check out the Danner stuff too.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Good to hear the Aquascape reliability is there. I’ll check out the Danner stuff too.
I also use aquascape, while I have only used their pumps for a couple of years, there are no problems, and with the solids handling ones, I only have to clean the intake/pump once a season!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I've been running a laguna max-flo for about a month without issue. Pretty efficient on power which is why I chose it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
One feature that I fail to understand why is missing on 2-6K GPH pumps as standard
is remote inlet connection, which I just could not do without.
My Oase 2000 is connected to a skinner/ leaf basket down stream.
You can pull water from the pump or remote or both.
Very reliable pump - had it for 4 years , just awsome:
Was away for a hot week in summer, water level went down enough to stop the prime pump was trying
to restart every 10 minutes , gurgling for few days my neighbour said, but not one fish lost, top it up
and all is good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know why it is so hard to find good pumps with an inlet connection. I had an awful time when I first installed my skimmer. Pumps with inlet connection are so much more expensive.
I tried one that was not powerful enough, so I order a larger one and it still was not strong enough. I ran the skimmer for about a year on the two pumps running together which was barely enough. When one of them stopped working, I decided to go big and try to find one that would work by itself. I found this one - a brand I had not seen before, but it was cheap. I've only had it about 6 months so we will see how long it lasts, but so far it works great.

AmazonSmile : VIVOSUN 8190 GPH Submersible Water Pump 500W Ultra Quiet Pump with 20.3ft Power Cord High Lift for Pond Waterfall Fish Tank Statuary Hydroponic : Garden & Outdoor

Ask a Question