Recommendation on a pond vac

Reaction score
That is exactly what I have. I purchased a 50' flexiable blue pool discharge hose and one hose clamp for less than $20. I have a rocked pond and this thing worked great.

Reaction score
bunnymp said:
That is exactly what I have. I purchased a 50' flexiable blue pool discharge hose and one hose clamp for less than $20. I have a rocked pond and this thing worked great.

Just trying to finish up with my homework before I decide to buy one. I am curious how yours worked great but D&RW needed two for his to work "a little better", with a pump to boot.

Could it be just the expectations were different ? I really want a pond vac but I can't afford (not at this time anyway), to throw away 62 bucks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you need atleast 50 lbs of water pressure for the mucvac to work any pressure over 50lbs is a plus. i use the mucvac too and have 20' of pool hose added on to the discharge so i can put the discharge where i want it. at 2' deep it works good. dr&w is using a pump...you hook it up to your garden hose and a fawcet not a pump!!!!!! 3000 gals per hour doesnt mean 50lbs+ of water pressure. pond pumps are high volume low pressure pumps.

Reaction score
I've been following this thread for a while since I've got about 12 metric tons of sand in the bottom of my new pond left over from the construction. I'd like to get it cleaned up this weekend before I go putting fish in there but I've embarrassed my bank account enough with purchases related to this project during the past month. That being said, does anyone have any experience using one of these?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927853

It seems to work on the same priciple as a muck vac but at half the cost. I don't want to get it if it's a waste of my money though. Just looking for input.

Thanks!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had one for my pool... they work(not quite the same)...BUT... they diascharge into a mesh bag still in the pool(pond), and not everything will get caught... and your pumping chlorinated water into the pool(pond). the mucvac uses a venturi system to create vaccumm and discharges the water used plus the debris thru a discharge hose outside the pond.

Reaction score
Good point about the cholinated water. I'm not too worried about it at this point as I've yet to add any fish but I could see how it would be an issue going forward. Knowing that this works, I may pick one up this weekend and give it a try. I'm thinking that if I rig a coupling with some of the extra hose that I have left over from running the pump and attach it onto the mesh bag fitting it might discharge out of the pond like a muck-vac? I like to tinker. I think I might give that a try. It'll be all McGuyver and cool. Like I said, I'm mainly just wanting to get the loose gravel and sand out of there that's leftover from building it. I'll upgrade later to a muck-vac if I need to.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah but i dont think it will push enough to make it out of the pond, it will end up blowing the debris around the pond from around the vac head.and you'll endup buying a pond vac anyway!!!

Reaction score
You know, I was sitting here thinking about what I'd just wrote and I'd just about reached that same conclusion. I figure, even if it does work, I'll end up shelling out about $10 or more on adhesives to attach the hose and fittings. By that time I'm up to at least $30 or $40 and I've seen muck vacs going for about $55 online. You're right, I probably shouldn't even waste my time.

Thanks for helping me out! I come to this forum mainly to stop myself from doing foolish things like everything that I just said I was going to do in that other post.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
glad to help...i thought about adapting my old one from my pool...ended up giving it to my neighbor for his pool... i just couldnt see it being worth the effort. but i am a penny pinchin' son of a gun myself.

Ask a Question