Reluctant newbie in MD = )

Reaction score
I recently bought a house with a very dirty pond that has a pump with no hoses attached, possibly no filter (still looking for it), a waterfall, a snake, and a huge plant. Although the previous owners said there weren't any fish, there are at least 20. I've bought some big gloves and plan to start digging around to see what's really there tomorrow. I have never thought about having a pond before, but I love fish and being near water relaxes me, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll be asking a lot of questions! So, hello everyone!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif

to our group!

What part of maryland? Maybe get a tub to put the fish in so you can drain the water. Bet the bottom is full of yucky bad muck. Keep wearing the gloves. With the fish gone then you could clean the bottom well.

how deep, big? Post some pictures helps us help you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and agree with addy if there are fish in there remove them or you may end up killing them after stirring up all the bad stuff .Watch out for mosquito's also .I wish you luck as i have taken apart abandoned ponds and know what bad job that can be ,good luck and muck on

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thpurplewelcome.gif
ScubaBint
Try to save some of the pond water so when you start over after cleaning you will be able to add some of the old water in to the new pond as the fish are used to that water and it will help them adjust. Then put the fish in and add the new water slowly and add dechlor if you have city water. If you just dump them into really clean water after what they are used to it could send them into shock.

Reaction score
Hmmm, tried to add pics but I can't figure out how to upload from my iPad. None of the uploaders will work. I'll try from my laptop later. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm getting started now! Addy1 I'm in Pasadena, not far from Annapolis.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a rental over in pasadena. Takes us about an hour to get there.

I use photobucket, upload to there then paste a link in the thread. Don't have any ipad so no clue how to use it. Most of the time if you go to more reply options, you can click attach files, i.e. photo, then select the file you want to upload.

Reaction score
welcome to you ! From MD as well, also bought a house with 3 dirty ponds, the biggest had no pump, or filter or anything, we just got it running kind of nicely...

Have fun here, i found a ton of precious help !

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I finally have the pond clean and up and running! Found 20 fish all together in the pond -all the same kind. I think 20 is perhaps too much for an approx 300 (Guessing) gallon pond? And the pump is " touchy" - sometimes I have to play with the cord to get it to work. Expect I'll be buying a new one soon!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I finally have the pond clean and up and running! Found 20 fish all together in the pond -all the same kind. I think 20 is perhaps too much for an approx 300 (Guessing) gallon pond? And the pump is " touchy" - sometimes I have to play with the cord to get it to work. Expect I'll be buying a new one soon!

Don't get shocked! you might be able to remove the cover and see if there is a loose connection. Make sure the pump is grounded well, so the case does not get energized.

Ask a Question