Rethinking Elephant Ears in my creek next year

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
JW I have some purple calla's that I don't dig up. I put them in flower bed about 3 years ago and they come back thicker than the year before. Probably wouldn't hurt to separate them. I love calla's and they come in so many more colors now. Yours are beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What zone are you, PL? I think my zone changed from 5 to 6 with the remapping they did. But still not close enough to 8 to get them to live. I've never had luck growing callas, so just hoping to grow them in the bog. If that works, I'll be happy to lift the bulbs!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The have cold hardy palms and in some zones all you have to do is protect the root ball with extra mulch .My cousin freddie has a couple in PA growing for 2 years now .I have the fan palm also and the windmill palm .I had a needle palm but afraid 2 winters ago ,when we had that bad winter and my pond emptied part of the way on that side the roots must have frozen .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You talking about the European Fan Palm sissy. I bought one last year at Costco and I covered it when it got cold this year just w/ some sheets and blankets and it made it fine. Do you cover yours or mulch?

My European Fan Palm
IMG_1651.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol jw, if it does not live through our winter, without being covered with blankies, it does not get planted.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, T'Man, if you want some tropical plants next year (elephant ears mainly, maybe others who knows) just let me know. I'll likely have plenty when it comes to lifting tubers, bulbs, roots, etc. for the winter. :)

CE thanks but I have way too many elephant ears already, unless you have others besides the green ones. I have about 25 bulbs on my basement floor waiting to be planted, I give them away to family and friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I bought everything BUT green! LOL I got 2 blacks, 2 burgandy and green, and I think 1 green and cream. Guess I first have to get them all to grow!
Maybe next year I'll be the one on Craigslist that is selling pond plants and so forth from my house. LOL

Ask a Question