rock ledge question

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So my pond will be 9x5x3 with only 2' of space between the sides of the pond and a retaining wall on one side and a concrete porch on the other. There will be 2.5' from the back of the pond to another retaining wall and 18" from the front of the pond to our paver patio. I've seen many ponds being built with a ledge approx. 1' below the top of the pond that goes all around the pond. I'm trying to avoid this, as that would greatly reduce the amount of space in the already "smaller" pond. My concern is how I will be able to hide the liner from the waters surface to the top of the pond? The ledge would allow me to place rocks and such that would cover the space, but again I'm trying to avoid the ledge. I've seen pond foam being used to hold rocks in place, but I'm not sure it would be strong enough to attach thin rocks directly to the liner. I'm sure there are solutions I'm not thinking of, I am a pond noob after all, haha.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
so I may have figured it out. I can dig out a collar around the 9x5 pond a few inches deep and about 6" wide. Place the larger stones on the collar with half the stone being submerged in the water and then stack other stones on top(level with the ground or higher) and use pond foam to connect them. Anybody see an issue with that or have other suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We have smaller pond and hid the liner and used foam- here are some pics. Not sure if this helps?

7F23EE9E-47C0-4105-8DBB-AB5C0D462BE6.jpeg94B5C56E-A9E5-4DDA-91EC-833FFA395011.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you just dig a shelf like a step down into your pond and place the rocks around that shelf and then put the top edge rocks over them so the top rocks sit halfway over the bottom rocks and on the pond edge too. Easy as pie and you won't see your liner above the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You don't have to use the foam as I find it easier to just leave them loose in case I need to do some tweaking, which I always need to do sooner or later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's what most of us do. A shallow shelf to sit flat stones on where the stones are partially submerged. Then build off that.

If you have any spare liner, fold it under the stones instead of cutting it. You never know when you might need extra liner. Things can settle or you may want to "grow" your pond a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like you've got your answer. Great! Let's address another thing you might want to think about before you start digging:

1. Is the retaining wall uphill or downhill from the pond?
  2. How tall is the retaining wall next to your proposed pond location?
  3. What is it holding back? Just earth? A driveway? What kind of soil do you have?
  4. How deep will your pond be?
There are several members here right now working through issues with collapsed pond walls with similar conditions. Would hate to see you dig a deep hole right next to big retaining wall and then lose your pond, retaining wall, and whatever that wall is holding up.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@combatwombat
1. retaining wall is uphill from the pond
2. Approx. 4 feet high
3. its just holding earth back
4. pond will be 3' deep

i also believe the wall is sitting on a concrete footer, but as the wall was here when i moved in, i dont know details about the footer

Ask a Question