Rolling drum filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@CSMcMullen1 When you find it could you post a photo of the rdf so folks can see what your talking about please not sure myself which was what on the website

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Screenshot_20180218-084404.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CS; after researching this RDF a bit, I'm curious as to why you're interested in this type? What benefits over other types are you desiring? Certainly DIY would be less $$ but I wonder how/why a ponder would go this route over others.

I see a system that is more costly, is going to require weather protection, need some sort of automatic 'sludge' dump/maintenance, and some worry re the lifetime of parts (seals, drum material, etc). Not to mention additional $$ re electricity to run.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I love my RDF. However, if you don't prefilter with something like a sieve then the RDF will be cycling constantly (self cleaning). You might look into the DracoDrum (which is what I have) since you can install it into any number of cabinets including DIY but it still has all of the mechanisms in place to sense when cleaning is needed, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love the RDF filters.
If you can remove detritus from your system within 48 hours, any nitrate problem is much easier to solve.
They even make a version of an RDF for aquariums, the rollermat.
https://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/30/theiling-roller-mat-automatic-mechanical-filter-roll/

Tests have shown that trapped detritus begins to break down and release nitrates back into the aquatic environment with 48 hours.
if you have enough plants, doesn't that take care of any nitrate problem? Seems to me it would...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
CS; after researching this RDF a bit, I'm curious as to why you're interested in this type? What benefits over other types are you desiring? Certainly DIY would be less $$ but I wonder how/why a ponder would go this route over others.

I see a system that is more costly, is going to require weather protection, need some sort of automatic 'sludge' dump/maintenance, and some worry re the lifetime of parts (seals, drum material, etc). Not to mention additional $$ re electricity to run.

Michael
I just want to build one. The waste will just go into a bucket that's removed when full. As for having plants I am thinking on that route also. Bouncing bog filter ideas around in my head

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's cool you want to get into the DIY part of ponding. I like doing the same, but don't want to have something that requires a lot of maintenance if I don't have to. I have other hobbies that also take up my time!

Only a bog (actually, wetlands upflow filter) is the way I went initially. I ended up later putting in a mechanical prefilter as digging up the bog and cleaning it was a pita. Of course, if you shape the bog correctly, cleaning isn't supposed to be so onerous but still, the mech filter means I can worry less about potential clogging (again).

The plants are for the nitrate buildup (and my enjoyment!) and the bog is for my biofiltering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ah, ok; gotcha. Thought I was missing something. Since I'm definitely a plant person, and plants need only thinning usually, I guess I went the right route for me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think you use filter socks on your pond and I use filter socks on my sw aquarium.
The test in the attached video demonstrates how quickly detritus breaks down into nitrate and phosphate in a filter sock.
The relevant information starts at about the 3:30 minute area.
The bacteria that break down the detritus are the same, the makeup of the detritus would be slightly different than our ponds.
Having plants in the pond water would certainly help absorb excess nitrate and phosphate before it starts to feed nuisance algae.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=LOJ6B-0p9c0

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the link, Mitch; it was interesting. I've had sw for a number of years now and only use the live rock as filtration. I do a water change of about 30% once every 4-6 weeks for my 90 gallon with 5 fish. I used to have an old fashioned 'outside the tank' filter but it was hard to get to for maintenance (I have my aq inside a shelving unit with not enough room to easily maneuver) and it seems to work.

Ask a Question