"RULES OF THUMB" FOR WATERFALLS , STREAMS? Vol. II

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, vol. I was fun! But afraid some good topics might get lost in there, soooo .... Vol. II!

Assuming you were going to have 1) a pond big & deep enough for a few goldfish, 2) wanted a waterfall (& DIY filter), 3) maybe wanted a bog, 4) maybe a stream, but MOST important, 5) needed the 2 satilite ponds (with false bottoms) for the 2 separate turtle habitats ---

.... and 6) needed them to all connect......

.... and assuming you had [rough guestimate] an area 20' x 20' to work with, fudging the L x W as needed... Flat with a slight grade.

Ideas on ways to lay this out? Is there a particular ORDER that these features need to go in for optimum filtration, etc.? Can the fish inhabit the bog?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Option 1: DIY filter - stream - waterfall - pond - small stream - satellite pond - satellite pond - skimmer- to pump - back to filter or bog

Option 2: DIY filter - waterfall - pond - small stream - satellite pond - small stream - satellite pond - skimmer to pump back to filter or bog. In this option you could have a skimmer on your main pond and draw the water from both the last satellite pond and the main pond that way you would not have to have everything go through your two turtle ponds yet you will still be drawing water from both.

Seems like a lot to get in that space though, how big do your satellite ponds have to be for your turtles?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This w/end I'm going to more accurately measure and see what I can draw out. The 2nd turtle enclosure hasn't been built yet, just marked out, which gives me a little more leeway in planning the pond areas. It will be easier to fit turtle space around existing "pond," rather than the other way around. In the main habitat enclosure, there is already an area planned in as pond space, which will be my design's starting point.

My brother-in-law was over yesterday and I walked him through some of my ideas. At least he was confident that the way our house is now, an electrician shouldn't have any trouble adding my GFCI and running the outlet where I'll need it. Now just need to finalize a design!! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just remember more electric out lets the better and don't overload your circuit box .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SISSY -- was wondering about # of outlets... What all could I expect to need to plug in, besides the pump? And if I told the electrician what I needed, would he know how many circuits I'd need?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have 3 water pumps for fountains,filter falls and bubblers and an air pump and lights plugged into mine. You might want to plug a vacuum or u.v (don't have one myself) light in also and get some extra's for misc. things that I can't think of right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep same I have 8 as of now 4plug ins each having 2 outlets on 1 - 20 amp and another 2 on 1- 20 amp and the others are 2 are are 15 amps shared each .don't forget aerator has to be plugged in and you never know what size you will get .I have 200 amps in my house and a second 50 amp service box in my basement for power tools and pond ..Up on the front porch I have 4 double switches .Son did all my electrical as he is a contractor and license electricion and plumber .He owes me I gave birth to him LOL.Better to pay him once than pay him twice ,never to many is not a complaint I have ever heard

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
not to mention a plug or 2 extra for any thing you might use outside of ponding as well...would it be convenient for electric yard tools, hedge trimmers, weed wacker etc.. or even a radio and such....you know, anything youve been dragging out an extension cord for. better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true as my son put outlets in a couple of my gardens out far from the house .Hint though make sure they are out of the ground up high enough so you don't trip over them ,been there done that LOL my flowers don't like being crushed by my butt

Ask a Question