Run off from overflow drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a bad storm in Georgia today. I’ve started this pond build in April. Still at it. Glad I’ve had patience because today I was able to see how the overflow drain worked with heavy heavy rainfall. I noticed the dirt from inside the drain coming from trench is seeping through drain into pond water. Making water dirty from the wet clay soil.

Any ideas how to prevent this maybe digging up trench and adding gravel? I don’t have fish in yet just an fyi. It’s winter here so I’m hoping to have it completed by spring with plants and rocks. Hoping I don’t have to dig up trench there is a 4 inch pvc dwv pipe in trench going into back of the gate. This is after a whole night and day of heavy rainfall. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7247.jpeg
    IMG_7247.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7249.jpeg
    IMG_7249.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 21

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I would definitely berm up the soil all around the pond, so that it's a bit higher than the surrounding ground. Once you have rocks or other edging materials on the flat edges, bring the liner up behind the edging and fold it over, then push the bermed soil up against it to hold it in place. That way the rain will roll down the slope away from the pond.

For the overflow, you can berm up the soil around it in the same way, forming a stream to direct the runoff to where you want it. So long as the sides of the stream are a bit higher than the surrounding soil, you shouldn't have runoff going into the pond. Rather, it will flow down the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had a bad storm in Georgia today. I’ve started this pond build in April. Still at it. Glad I’ve had patience because today I was able to see how the overflow drain worked with heavy heavy rainfall. I noticed the dirt from inside the drain coming from trench is seeping through drain into pond water. Making water dirty from the wet clay soil.

Any ideas how to prevent this maybe digging up trench and adding gravel? I don’t have fish in yet just an fyi. It’s winter here so I’m hoping to have it completed by spring with plants and rocks. Hoping I don’t have to dig up trench there is a 4 inch pvc dwv pipe in trench going into back of the gate. This is after a whole night and day of heavy rainfall. Thank you
That was quite the storm, we had it here in MA last night. Ridiculous amount of rain, not supposed to happen in Jan lol. At least the power did not go out, three weeks ago we lost it for 2 1/2 days. My pond is new and I have runoff also, I ran out of time in the Fall to get edging done properly so when there is heavy rain like that the water gets dirty, but clears up in a day or two with the bog. I will be doing what @YShahar recommended, I had done some of that in the Fall but still have another side to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would definitely berm up the soil all around the pond, so that it's a bit higher than the surrounding ground. Once you have rocks or other edging materials on the flat edges, bring the liner up behind the edging and fold it over, then push the bermed soil up against it to hold it in place. That way the rain will roll down the slope away from the pond.

For the overflow, you can berm up the soil around it in the same way, forming a stream to direct the runoff to where you want it. So long as the sides of the stream are a bit higher than the surrounding soil, you shouldn't have runoff going into the pond. Rather, it will flow down the stream.
Thank you sooooo much. Life saver that makes so much sense. But I just thought I think it may be coming from in the hole trenches also. It’s the pvc pipe just down in the trench. I can top soil on top of trench but what if some dirt is coming from within the trench through drain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That was quite the storm, we had it here in MA last night. Ridiculous amount of rain, not supposed to happen in Jan lol. At least the power did not go out, three weeks ago we lost it for 2 1/2 days. My pond is new and I have runoff also, I ran out of time in the Fall to get edging done properly so when there is heavy rain like that the water gets dirty, but clears up in a day or two with the bog. I will be doing what @YShahar recommended, I had done some of that in the Fall but still have another side to do.
Yes a great idea right? Whew but I think I also may dirt pouting from within drain from dug trench.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh I bet it disregard my follow up question. Yes makes sense now. Appreciate you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's hard to tell the pitch of the edge of the pond compared to the ground around the pond . I recomend at least 6 inches higher that way after decades of people walking around the pond your still high enough to keep the water out.

I know we talked about this before having the wall of the pond coming up to the surface and stopping like 4 inches below . That way you can create a shelf for the edging rocks to sit in the water that will hide your liner especially when your water starts to evaporate. So if you have 1 man boulders 12"x12" 4 inches of tye boulder will sit in the water 6 inches will rise above the outside ground level that is now bermed up making a little ramp and 2 inches is left for the rock to hold back the soil.
This keeps the runoff out of the pond. It's not so much the silt that's a problem getting into the water as it is organics, and fertilizers or even pesticides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's hard to tell the pitch of the edge of the pond compared to the ground around the pond . I recomend at least 6 inches higher that way after decades of people walking around the pond your still high enough to keep the water out.

I know we talked about this before having the wall of the pond coming up to the surface and stopping like 4 inches below . That way you can create a shelf for the edging rocks to sit in the water that will hide your liner especially when your water starts to evaporate. So if you have 1 man boulders 12"x12" 4 inches of tye boulder will sit in the water 6 inches will rise above the outside ground level that is now bermed up making a little ramp and 2 inches is left for the rock to hold back the soil.
This keeps the runoff out of the pond. It's not so much the silt that's a problem getting into the water as it is organics, and fertilizers or even pesticides.
Okay I’m getting it. I understand. I have cylinder blocks I forgot why I did this. lol think I also brought this up before. Then liner on top of cylinder blocks. Person who put in cylinder blocks for me dug it deeper than what it was originally so shelves are deeper now. just a side note, but I’ve done this whole project basically by myself with the exception of the cylinder blocks. Anyway I can make shelves higher even though liner is already in? I really appreciate your help. You’ve been with me since the beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7033.jpeg
    IMG_7033.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States

This keeps the runoff out of the pond. It's not so much the silt that's a problem getting into the water as it is organics, and fertilizers or even

I remember now yes my wall was steep on the patio side it seems as if having that extra liner and underlayment the water doesn’t seem to go under the liner cause I have so much extra off the sides. I’m almost scared to trim it cause the excess seems to help with the rain not water not getting underneath. If that makes sense.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YEAH YOU'VE DONE GOOD BY RESISTING TO CUT THE LINER! YOU HAVE COME A LONG WAY AND YOUR REACHING THE HOME STRETCH.

since you're not afraid to pour concrete i think that is where i would head next. i know it''s not what you want to hear but hear me out. the concrete blocks in your pond are above your water line and no matter what you do you'r always going to see liner. Now i don't know if this is ok with your design plans but to me the little work thats left to make the liner be able to be hidden is a no brainer in my book.

You could also do the build up around the cinderblocks with Boulders and soil but i believe you have to haul those in so weather dirt or concrete same amount of work it's price that varies.

so here is what i'm thinking " yeah long winded here. picture placing boulders on top of your cinder blocks. but in order to complete the look you need to build up the edges along the outside. Now you could use Dirt blue stone. or even wood timbers to build up the edging That way your boulders sitting on the cinder block get submerged half way into the water thus hiding the liner above the water line but now you need to build up the sides just that little bit.

this will really finish off your pond and really make your project impress those who see it. exposed liner just doesn't look finished and will not add to resale like a professional looking pond can.

If you scroll down quite a ways in the link below. You will find some pictures of the build where i have cinder block walls. and where it meets my patio is exactly what I'm trying to get across to you and you'll see from the finished pictures how hiding the liner and the shelf that I'm talking of making really separates a home owner pond build from a striking setting in your yard.

edging .jpg

Last edited:

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If you scroll down quite a ways in the link below. You will find some pictures of the build where i have cinder block walls. and where it meets my patio is exactly what I'm trying to get across to you and you'll see from the finished pictures how hiding the liner and the shelf that I'm talking of making really separates a home owner pond build from a striking setting in your yard.

View attachment 161943

Actually @newponddiyer , given that your pond has a formal design, it would be fairly to implement what @GBBUDD suggested, but with railroad ties. They would line up easily along the edge of your cinderblocks, and you could put a second row outside the first to make a good solid edge to stand or sit on. Here's an example:
Railroad tie edging2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Actually @newponddiyer , given that your pond has a formal design, it would be fairly to implement what @GBBUDD suggested, but with railroad ties. They would line up easily along the edge of your cinderblocks, and you could put a second row outside the first to make a good solid edge to stand or sit on. Here's an example:
View attachment 161948
Rail road ties here in the states are coated with some nasty stuff. Chemicals you definitely don't want in your water. But as @YShahar pointed out 6x6 or larger timbers could be used. i would recommend cedar for ground contact. iF YOU JUST WANT TO PLACE ONE TIMBER IN THE WATER AND SOILS OUTSIDE YOU COULD USE OAK as if it stays wet it will take years to rot out

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Rail road ties here in the states are coated with some nasty stuff. Chemicals you definitely don't want in your water. But as @YShahar pointed out 6x6 or larger timbers could be used. i would recommend cedar for ground contact. iF YOU JUST WANT TO PLACE ONE TIMBER IN THE WATER AND SOILS OUTSIDE YOU COULD USE OAK as if it stays wet it will take years to rot out

Good point about the chemicals; I hadn't thought of that! Here I see garden centers selling "railroad ties" that were never actually designed for a railroad, but now that I think of it, I probably wouldn't want to use those either, for fear that they'd been treated with something that could leach into the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good point about the chemicals; I hadn't thought of that! Here I see garden centers selling "railroad ties" that were never actually designed for a railroad, but now that I think of it, I probably wouldn't want to use those either, for fear that they'd been treated with something that could leach into the water.
I'd imagine you treat more in the desert for bugs eating the wood like termites more than rot, seeing as your in the desert.
but i could be wrong i'm no expert in desert living

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I'd imagine you treat more in the desert for bugs eating the wood like termites more than rot, seeing as your in the desert.
but i could be wrong i'm no expert in desert living
Oh it gets pretty wet here in winter. Basically we have the same amount of rainfall as you'd see in northern Europe, only here it falls all in one go - between December and March. So it's dry all year, then flooding and cold for a couple of months. We recently had 14 straight days of rain! My garden paths became little rivers. And the pond overflowed everywhere, not only through its designated overflow stream. I just wish I had a cistern to capture all that water!

Ask a Question