Running a 6500L/HR pump from battery

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi pond people, I'm new to the garden pond forum but not entirely new to ponds. I have a question re power sources. I have no way to get ac power to my pond and have a 6500L per hour pond pump in the shed I want to run off a 100AH leisure battery with a 120W solar panel and controller. The pump is reportedly 12V but came with a mains plug. I tried wiring it directly to the leisure battery but it didn't turn on. My question is, do I cut off the transformer and wire from that side (fused of course)? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong? I've attached a photo of the voltage specs... Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_134128.jpg
    IMG_20210816_134128.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, your transformer is labeled AC/AC which means the 12V is still alternating current. I'm guessing your battery is putting out DC (direct current) and that this scheme won't work.

Can you have power run out to your pond? I suspect in the long run you'd be happier with that.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, your transformer is labeled AC/AC which means the 12V is still alternating current. I'm guessing your battery is putting out DC (direct current) and that this scheme won't work.

Can you have power run out to your pond? I suspect in the long run you'd be happier with that.
Thanks Eric. That makes sense. Nah can't run power cause there isn't any. The closest power is around 100km away. Anyway to convert the AC to DC? Without an inverter as I suspect that would draw way more power than needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You would definitely need an inverter unless you could find a 12 V DC pump large enough. But when I've looked for them, they seem non-existent. An inverter designed to power a TV or a laptop would seem to be about the right amount of power for a pump that size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Troy! Power 100km away? Wow, you must live on top of the Zugspitze! :) I have seen solar powered filters/pumps on some Caribbean islands but they are quite large and require huge solar collectors to keep the batteries properly charged. If the distance is 100 meters (328 feet) you might be able to run a low voltage line to power a small pump. Think of what is necessary to run low-voltage landscape lighting and then apply that to your pond.

Ask a Question