Salsa by the pond and a couple videos

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
crsublette said:
Aaahh, that explains it. I was trying to figure out that salsa since it had no cilantro. ;) :bdaybiggrin:

Start growing some cilantro. It's not salsa without it. :chair:
It has cilantro :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Excellente. :claphands:

Now it just needs much more of it. :nananananana:

I love cilantro. :cheerful:

Reaction score
I know what you mean Pecan, about the mosquito fish, last year I was fishing in the lake behind the house and watched how the schools of little shiner minnows would attack spiders or bugs that fell into the water and I thought hey I could put some of them little buggers up in my pond to go after bugs and/or mosquito larvae if there's ever any in the pond. Trouble is the little devils breed like rats on steroids, I have hundreds in there now and that's with netting some out every now and then. The good news is they are easy to catch and this variety only grows to about an inch long, oh and my bullfrogs love them--must taste like chicken, lol

Reaction score
Sheetmetalman said:
I know what you mean Pecan, about the mosquito fish, last year I was fishing in the lake behind the house and watched how the schools of little shiner minnows would attack spiders or bugs that fell into the water and I thought hey I could put some of them little buggers up in my pond to go after bugs and/or mosquito larvae if there's ever any in the pond. Trouble is the little devils breed like rats on steroids, I have hundreds in there now and that's with netting some out every now and then. The good news is they are easy to catch and this variety only grows to about an inch long, oh and my bullfrogs love them--must taste like chicken, lol
I didn't know they were so prolific. Good to know...

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, mosquito fish, also called Gambusia, are quite interesting. The female Gambusia are mature enough within 6~8 weeks to reproduce and reproduce every 3 weeks in batches of around 20~100 new gambusia. This fish is extremely prolific since they are live bearers, that is they doe not lay eggs to reproduce, but they have an extremely short life spane of something like 2~3 years. Although, they make up for the short lifespan by reproducing extremely fast.

A nice benefit to them is they will keep your frogs fed well so they do not go after your goldies!! :cheerful:

Here is a pdf backup I made of a website that had a good explanation of it, but, unfortunately and apparently, the website no longer exists anymore. So here it is in PDF. I backup everything I read in PDF. ;)

Attachments

• MOSQUITOFISH IN YOUR POND_.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 379

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had mosquito fish in my arizona pond, they used to swim up the stream, it was fun to watch them.

Here I have rosey reds, they have not been real prolific, but doing ok

Ask a Question