Scariest Pond on the Planet Award goes to.... ME. (a Newbie, too)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JustGinger, Jun 22, 2016.

1. JustGinger

JustGinger

I've just joined a Garden Pond forum, out of sheer desperation and actual fear of the giant, 8-years-of-total-neglect pond in our suburban backyard. (About 20'x20' and 12' deep!) For the first time since buying our house, I thought I'd try to skim it with a net yesterday, and had the most awful, horrific thing happen. I'm skimming, and I'm skimming, and then I hit something heavy. I call my husband to help me fish it out. It's the complete carcass of a dead rooster.

Needless to say, it's time to tackle this body of water that is now killing our neighborhood fauna. And we have zero clue what we are doing.

JustGinger, Jun 22, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. JustGinger

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    I would recommend you hire a professional garden pond maintence service provider based on the age, condition and size of your pond. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Big Lou, Jun 22, 2016
    Meyer Jordan and JustGinger like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. JustGinger

JustGinger

That's probably a wise idea. Do you think I could just get started with draining it somewhat on my own first? Money is tight, and I am pretty capable, generally speaking.

JustGinger, Jun 22, 2016
  4. JustGinger

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

This pond obviously needs to be completely drained and cleaned.

Meyer Jordan, Jun 22, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  5. JustGinger

JustGinger

Hi! Yep, that's the plan! As much DIY as I can manage, then I'll probably need to enlist the help of some pros. Any tips or tricks, or general pieces of advice would be much appreciated! Have a great day!

JustGinger, Jun 22, 2016
  6. JustGinger

Lisak1

Ok - I know I'm a bit strange but the idea of fishing out a dead rooster made me laugh out loud. That had to be a shocker!

First question - are you sure the pond is 12 feet deep? That would be a great depth to dig for a backyard pond. In my part of the country you would need to reinforce the sides to prevent collapse at that depth.

Is the pond lined? Can you post pictures of this killer pond?

Lisak1, Jun 22, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  7. JustGinger

pecan

These are all good questions. Pictures will help as well and pictures of any pump, filter equipment you are aware of.

Welcome!

pecan, Jun 22, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  8. JustGinger

Big Lou

I do not recommend you drain the pond yourself due to the unknown level of contamination. The service provider may use a decontaminate before draining.

Big Lou, Jun 23, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  9. JustGinger

DocD

First tip I could give you is that if you do pump it out yourself then try to get a heavy duty submersible pump that can take some debris (but get as much debris out before). I wouldn't risk trying to pump it out with your pond pump or anything else you have that runs the pond. Would be more trouble it your existing plumbing got clogged and to the point of needing to be replaced.

You might could probably rent a pump if you had to.

DocD, Jun 23, 2016
    Meyer Jordan and JustGinger like this.
  10. JustGinger

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group!
    Rent a debris handling sump pump, put it on the bottom let it draw a lot of the debris and pump it out. Wear gloves so you do get any infections from the water, it could have contamination.
    Pick a good are for the yuck to flow to. It can be good for yard plants, maybe lol.

12 feet deep? did you mean that?

I think you will be able to handle the clean out just take precautions since there is a lot of debris and muck. Keep the water and muck off your skin, any open sores, etc. Wear gloves. Get those long sleeved kitchen gloves, or the ones in the hd lowes area chemical proof ones.

addy1, Jun 23, 2016
    Meyer Jordan, JustGinger and Big Lou like this.
  11. JustGinger

Big Lou

addy1, would it help to put bleach in the pond before the pumping?

Big Lou, Jun 23, 2016
  12. JustGinger

ChrisP

You'd have to add a lot of bleach to get a concentration level that would be effective in the full pond.

I would think draining off a half and then bleaching it would be more effective. You could use a push broom to work the sides that are now exposed.

Then after a day or two, finish draining.

ChrisP, Jun 23, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  13. JustGinger

Big Lou

Bleach is cheap.

Big Lou, Jun 23, 2016
    JustGinger likes this.
  14. JustGinger

JustGinger

Oh my gosh, thank you for all of the good info and tips!!! I actually didn't end up doing anything to it yesterday - my instincts really told me to wait and see what, if anything, people here advised. Glad I waited!

12 feet deep may be an exaggeration. I actually have never seen the bottom of it, but it's definitely around 5-6 feet deep. I have the original invoices from the landscape company who built it back in 1995, I'll post pictures of those, too. It sure was pricey, and that was in 1995 dollars, too! ($13000.00!!!) Yikes! I can't believe we've neglected it so badly. Sigh.

Yep, the roosters' demise is so outrageous it's easy to laugh about it, but the poor thing! It's like a horror movie, really. We gave it a proper burial, though, which hopefully counts for something? I'm off to get some pictures for you guys, thank you SO much for the help!

PS- The bleach addition halfway through draining sounds good, was the official conclusion to that affirmative?? And about how much bleach are we talking? Is it advisable to pump bleach out into an irrigation ditch? ☺️

JustGinger, Jun 23, 2016
  15. JustGinger

JustGinger

The invoices from pond installation. Feb 1995. The blue page is a summary I wrote up of all the info I could find on the pond... I wonder if the original work permits would be helpful to have, just for reference and if we ever decided to fill it in. Any thoughts on filling it in vs. renovating it? Would the cost be drastically different? Thanks! ☺️ image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

JustGinger, Jun 23, 2016
  16. JustGinger

Timothy Proprietor "Frog's Neck Inn"

Just to put an oar in the water - so to speak, I respect every one that has answered your question, but if it were me, I think I'd call the county extension and ask them the same question. There's no telling what's at the bottom of this, and a 20'X20' area that's relatively deep could harbor :))) any number of things you may not want to deal with. If there is anything detrimental in there you sure wouldn't want to distribute it across the surface of your lawn or even a drainage ditch.
    Have you ever seen it clear and functional? How long has it been unattended? Was the rooster fresh? I'm not trying to be amusing, but if his demise was recent it would be different than if he had been in there a long time decaying and contaminating the water with who knows what else. Not to be over dramatic, but you don't know if he drowned, or was poisoned.
    I think I'd find out from experts what I was dealing with before I proceeded.

Timothy, Jun 23, 2016
    Meyer Jordan and Big Lou like this.
  17. JustGinger

Tula

Perhaps you could contact the company that did the original work, since you have the invoice, to see if they could advise you?

Truthfully, it sounds like a big undertaking. You said you've lived there for 8 years, are you interested in renovating and maintaining it?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    Tula, Jun 23, 2016
  18. JustGinger

Big Lou

Does your neighborhood have storm drains? You mentioned a drainage ditch. Do you know where the ditch terminates?

Do not let our questions scare you. We all truly hope to provide helpful advice.

Big Lou, Jun 23, 2016
  19. JustGinger

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum :)

Becky, Jun 24, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question