Seaming an EPDM liner -- supplies needed? and a few other questions

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hoping that I won't, but I might have to seam a small section of liner along one edge/side of the pond [due to current construction].

Have read instructions online [and on here] about doing this, but want to run it by folks who have been-there, done-that.

FYI, the section that would be seamed most likely would never be under water unless the pond overflowed -- it would just be adding enough length to the liner for it to go over and cover the berm.

What I have on hand: excess liner, seaming tape, acetone, and a hard plastic scrubby.

I've read about using a "primer" and wondered what this was and if it was a necessary step.

Does seaming tape hold well enough on its own, or would I still need to use an adhesive? If so, what works best?

Would HEATING the seamed area help?

Is there a waiting period after you do all of this before you can manipulate the liner and fill the pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Look on you tube ponddigger talks about the primer on a couple of his video's and why he uses it .I noticed it while looking at some of the builds he does .I had to love the one with the pygmy goat wondering all around the pond build .Cute and funny .The primer you can ask him the name .I know he said what it was and he really does answer all the posts made to him ,not like other pond posters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like they're using the kit that Firestone puts out, so probably the primer is the same. I've found that online. So hope I don't have to seam anything, but if I do I want to be prepared!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh I asked and he answered it is a kit and he said if you are going to seam anything you should use it because it makes the patch stick better .It is almost like a contact cement and as it cures it gets tacky and then you should put the seam tape over it and roll it real hard against something solid .I just got his answer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm hoping I don't have to seam together liner where my skimmer has sunk to the collapsing wall:( Hope to find out on Wed.....maybe I'll be investigating seaming liners too!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they sell lots of the seaming kits on ebay and they even include the roller and goop also .I have to find a new liner for my neighbor now something chewed through her liner also .I have to patch the hole in mine so I ordered a kit off ebay .The cheapest place I could find was them .Free shipping and 29 dollars .I had to get the bigger patch kit to cover the hole farther out just in case .

Reaction score
Look on you tube ponddigger talks about the primer on a couple of his video's and why he uses it .I noticed it while looking at some of the builds he does .I had to love the one with the pygmy goat wondering all around the pond build .Cute and funny .The primer you can ask him the name .I know he said what it was and he really does answer all the posts made to him ,not like other pond posters

Sissy,

I watched the entire video set of "How to Build a Pond" (21 episodes) and I saw the pygmy goat in several of them. What a laugh! ...Oh my goodness, he's eating the pond liner! Ha Ha I wonder how many of those plants they installed at the very end are going to survive that little goat?

The "How to Build a Pond" set of videos by The PondDigger (Eric Triplett) is a must for everyone to watch. I am very glad I read this thread and saw your reply which referenced this. There was a great deal of excellent information and tips/hints contained and it was just a thrill to watch.

EDIT TO ADD: What the heck was with the "subtitles" on a few of those videos anyway? Something definitely went wrong there. Some of it was hilarious!

Gordy

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponddigger sent me a message back and goat went out to the field area to mow the grass after she ate 3 plants .I think you can see my comments on there and just got message from him today .Eric is a hoot .I had to comment when goat got in waterfall and pooped it was cute .He got back too me about my liner with the hole in it .The hole chewed in it is in a bigger section of the liner than I thought and he told me that it cannot be fixed to good with a patch kit since it is in a fold .So bit the bullet and my neighbor and I just got done ordering new liners .Dr foster and smith was the cheapest ,Plus my pond is going just slightly deeper and a little smaller since I got rid of most of the fish .Tammy's brother is bringing me a free load of dirt for helping her out .Not sure how I am going to handle a 45 mil liner again by myself but oh well .He helped me figure out the liner size last night to make sure .Big help since I was ordering it online .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he is she and her name is Billie Jean and he said she is a real show stopper

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guess I'm going to have to go back and watch all the videos. I usually just watch the ones I need at the time. A goat pooping in the pond.... How funny!

So, Sissy, was it the SIZE of the hole or it's location that was the issue? Again, hoping I NEVER have to do a patch (or seam), but certainly want to be prepared -- "prepared" meaning equipment AND knowledge.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was the length and the fact that it was in several folds in the corner of the pond ,I just wonder what chewed through it .It had to have sat on the plant pot of grass because I happened to see that the dead parts of the grass are flat and was wondering why my pond water level was going down .It is about 6 inches long by what I see and 3 inches or so wide .I guess I can use liner I take out for something else .Water got behind liner and bubbled it out .The liner is not that old either .I think it was 3 summers ago I replaced the liner with roofing liner I got cheap from a roofer that was moving after a new neighbors dog sliced my old liner

Ask a Question