shade netting

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well ive sorted problem with foxes spooking my fish ...ive put a net over the pond, yep i know an eye sore and its not easy to see the fish, i had some shade netting over from work i was doing in the garden and thought i would try it over pond, as pond is in a very sheltered hot spot in full sun all day ...its meant to give 40% shade ..well it works my plants are at last growing watercress has shot up and parrots feather has shot out everywhere water tests are all spot on!! (something ive never had before) blanket weed has almost dissapered and best of all my fish are now happy no more hiding away and they now are back to feeding from my hand :banghead3:
so i guess i will keep my net up for the winter as it will also keep out the dreaded leaves
yes it does mess up the look of the pond especally as its bright green !! but Happy Fish, Happy me :frown:

Reaction score
I will make the suggestion, Stop, that if you have leaves in the autumn, do not just lay your netting flat over your pond unless you are very good about removing the leaves each day.

Reason being is that as the leaves get on the net and get wet in a rain or snow, they will weigh down your netting and it can drape into the pond. So, when you are ready to close up the pond, get yourself a bunch of pvc and some elbows and just make a bit of a frame so that it lifts the netting up a bit so that the leaves/weather just slide down to the sides.

You can make an A-frame or even a arc out of PVC to hold up your net. That's pretty much what I do.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How about a Tee Pee shaped cover? It worked for the American Indians to keep snow from collapsing the tents.

Reaction score
stroppy said:
its not easy to see the fish, i had some shade

I know that you are benefiting from the shade, but is there a possibility that you could use the shade cloth as a type of awning or canopy and use bird netting to cover the pond? The netting has about 1/2 inch squares and the "threads" are very fine. I have used it and it's very easy to see the fish. It's also black. Here's my net...

Attachments

• pondconstruct 017resize.jpg
    pondconstruct 017resize.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 348

Ask a Question