MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond is going to be directly in the southern sun all day during the summer with nothing to block it. And, while I know some sun is good, too much isn't, especially for a raised pond.

I have a few ideas for shade....I was thinking off building a trellis on the southern side and growing some flowering vines, but in the height of the summer, the trellis would have to be pretty high. I could build a small pergola and grow vines on that, too. I am also thinking of putting up a sail shade between 3 posts, but I am wondering how it will be when the winds pick up?

For those of you that don't have natural shade or your pond isn't protected from the sun by a building on your property, how do you shade your pond...if you do? Any pics for ideas is appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We put up shade sails last summer. I left one up, all winter, even in high winds and it's been fine. Hubby sunk posts in concrete and we used strong hardware. We bought the shade sails at Costco last year, for like $16 bucks. I'm going to buy more, as back up, when they come out this year.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, Tula. I was figuring I would have to place the posts in concrete. What kind of posts did your husband use? Wood? Metal? What size? How high above your pond is the sail shade? Sorry for all the questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks, Tula. I was figuring I would have to place the posts in concrete. What kind of posts did your husband use? Wood? Metal? What size? How high above your pond is the sail shade? Sorry for all the questions.
No problem, happy to help ! We used wood posts. I have to go to an appointment now, but will take pictures and post for you, upon my return !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will a shad sail over the pond to anything to deter herons or will they just get used to that too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I remember @addy1 saying herons see the water's reflection from above, if that's the case, a shade sail should provide some visual protection from a heron.

Please excuse the ugly solar cover, on the pond....it's been a science experiment this winter :)

This over head view shows the sail cloth over the pond....in summer we have another, over the patio.

The hand picture is to provide some scale of the pot width; and the last picture is the hardware.

This summer I'm going to add more decorative hooks to display hanging baskets from and more birdhouses.

We used to have a gorgeous stand of cedar trees, that I loved....but they came down in a big storm, last spring...hence the need for shade sails. We did plant more trees, but that will take awhile :)

IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg

Reaction score
In NY, FL, CA I didn't shape the pond. Here in Phoenix yes. And a pond in my front yard can't be more than 18" deep by code so I need serious shade there. I placed cut tree limbs over part of the pond so they're about 12-18" above the water. On that I grow a vine called Cat's Claw which is one of the few vines that do well in our climate. It obstructs viewing somewhat, but an over heap option like a pergola, wasn't possible for the Japanese design. Trees are planted that may provide enough shade someday.

I don't think shade is needed in PA.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had the problem that my water heated to about 80+ degree in summer and could even be 90 becasue I have a long shallow stream which made the water heat up fast. I grew 3 lantana bushes and they covered alot of my stream last year which made the pond a lot cooler. I also bought a lot of water lily to cover the surface of the pond. I think all in all 70% of my pond is covered and that helped with the water temperature a lot so last year I didnt have any problem with water temperature.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't shade our pond, but it is big, deep and lots of water falls, plants, the ponds highest temp was 83. It is south exposure, full sun from sun rise to almost sun set.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I remember @addy1 saying herons see the water's reflection from above, if that's the case, a shade sail should provide some visual protection from a heron.

Please excuse the ugly solar cover, on the pond....it's been a science experiment this winter :)

This over head view shows the sail cloth over the pond....in summer we have another, over the patio.

The hand picture is to provide some scale of the pot width; and the last picture is the hardware.

This summer I'm going to add more decorative hooks to display hanging baskets from and more birdhouses.

We used to have a gorgeous stand of cedar trees, that I loved....but they came down in a big storm, last spring...hence the need for shade sails. We did plant more trees, but that will take awhile :)

Thanks @Tula. These pics were very helpful. Looks like 4 x 4 posts.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In NY, FL, CA I didn't shape the pond. Here in Phoenix yes. And a pond in my front yard can't be more than 18" deep by code so I need serious shade there. I placed cut tree limbs over part of the pond so they're about 12-18" above the water. On that I grow a vine called Cat's Claw which is one of the few vines that do well in our climate. It obstructs viewing somewhat, but an over heap option like a pergola, wasn't possible for the Japanese design. Trees are planted that may provide enough shade someday.

I don't think shade is needed in PA.

Thanks @Waterbug. Shade is needed here in July and August...especially with a raised pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b-10a
Country
United States
What about a simple EZ-UP?
Easily movable and can provide shade for your pond and your family.

Attachments

• 161844_ts.jpg
    161844_ts.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 353

Ask a Question