Should I feed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,I have a free standing pond of around 1600 litres, although the water temp is down to 6 or 7 degrees centigrade I have noticed my Orfe, Shubunkins and Koi still hover around the surface. I guess they are nibbling on the plants I have. My question is should I feed them sinking wheatgerm or not?

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. 6 degrees Celsius is 42.8 degrees Fahrenheit for us. That is getting close to the minimum feeding temp, even with wheat germ. Personally, I usually do not feed in real cold weather to be on the safe side but others do if the fish are showing interest.

Some previous discussions on the topic:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
duck hat.gif
@Metalguru69
I quit feeding w/the Fall food when temps get to 50f and resume in Spring when they hit 50f and above. If they want to nibble on plants, algae or bugs, worms etc. all winter then it's all on them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At 42 even if the fish come up asking i would try not to when their systems get that cold everything slows way down . you see your fish they try to take a piece of food and it is like watching a drunk they swim right past it mouths flopping away trying desperately for a hail marry the food will slip in. Their digestive system also slows way down and that is where the problem comes in the food does not get digested it sits and rots and gas can develop and kill the fish

Ask a Question