Should I switch from a sump pump to a fountain pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Our pond fountain is operated by a submersible sump pump. We want to buy a replacement pump to have on hand in case this one breaks down in the future. Should we buy a pump which is designed for fountains? I don't know any details about the gph. We don't have a filtration system, just a screen to keep out debris. There are no fish in our pond, just lots of water lilies and marginals. The pond is about 30,000 gallons.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
30,000 gallons!!! Are you sure? Sounds like a lake. You want to circulate your pond at least 3x an hour, no such thing as over filtration. If you have a 30,000 gallon pond, you'd need a 90,000 Gallon Per Hour pump. Or 3, 30,000 gph, or 10, 3000 gph pumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i think the OP means they are running a fountain in their large pond - not necessarily the same as running a pump for filtration.

But I agree with @Mmathis - you don't want to use a sump pump for a continuously running water feature.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've used a (Well, actually SEVERAL.) sump pumps on ponds in the past, simply because they were on sale (read CHEAP) at the time. All ran 24/7. One burned out within months, but the best one is still in use about 20 years later! Not that I'm advocating the use of sump pumps in ponds... with the extra energy this type of pump uses, I've probably paid more to the electric company than a good pond pump would have cost me! :(
John

Ask a Question