Show me pictures -- how have YOU finished off the edges of your pond?

Reaction score
I'm curious to see too. I have years of building experience, but most of my ideas get rejected in this forum anyway, so I'll just sit back and watch what others have to offer. ;)
Awe mucky, I think your ideas are great! Your pond is beautiful! It reminds me of those recreated habitats for tropical animals In a Botanical Garden. Hey maybe that's your calling ;)

Reaction score
@addy1 @j.w @callingcolleen1 I absolutely love your ponds! Rocks! I love rocks!

@Mucky_Waters Whatever your ideas are/were I want to see them [no matter what everyone else says.....]. For an enclosed pond, yours is an example of what you can do in a space.

@michey1st Welcome to this thread! I recall your thread, but I wasn't where I am now....

@everyone else -- OK, guys, you can at least look up some pictures to post for ideas!

My pond is going to have a berm that's about 8" - 10" high, and at least a foot wide. I am somewhat limited in space, going away from the pond due to other things
being in the way.
View attachment 73028

I plan to have rocks [did I mention that I love rocks!

I AGREE!! I love rocks too! And I placed every stone myself with my bootay in mind, because I also like to sit by the pond to watch everything going on! :D
Can't post from iPad, but I will take some pics of the spill over and the neat rocks I've pick up over the years. Have I told you guys, I make my husband stop; when we go out of state, on the side of the interstates to pick up large rocks that have fallen :smuggrin::smuggrin: I do it when we go anywhere lol, I swear he thought I was Loco, until I showed him how much it cost for sandstone per ton here in Indiana 350$ a ton :wideyed:
He was VERY happy to stop after that :shy:
One time we were coming back from Nashville, and I saw a big rose colored rock I HAD TO HAVE, it took me, hubby, and our 15 year old son to get it up in the truck bed, it's not sand stone and is it a very dense stone. I LIKE IT! :shame:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hey there, Mmathis! Thanks for calling me over =D I have to say, I'm quite infatuated with your pond thus far! I LOVE the way it's shaping up and can't wait to see it evolve... sounds like it's going to be AMAZING!

Here are some pics from after we started redoing the edges. We've been slowly swapping in the new flat rocks, both around the perimeter of the pond and around the surrounding retaining walls. Now that it's hot outside, I've kind of lost steam, so once fall comes and the plants start to die back, I plan to go back and redo the waters edge with a bit more attention to detail. For now, it's passable, lol! The plants hide a myriad of flaws, to say the least ;-)

Since these pics have been taken, i've used some of the larger flat stones from our pallets to redo the walkway you see in the first pic and have surrounded them with sedum plantings (no pics of that b/c i'm a slackadoodle) so the overall effect is much less "dirt and clay" and much more "lush garden retreat". At least, that's what I tell myself, lol!

2014-05-27 11.08.37.jpg
2014-05-27 11.08.53.jpg
2014-05-27 11.10.28.jpg
2014-05-27 11.11.13.jpg
2014-07-16 10.56.20.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there, Mmathis! Thanks for calling me over =D I have to say, I'm quite infatuated with your pond thus far! I LOVE the way it's shaping up and can't wait to see it evolve... sounds like it's going to be AMAZING!

Here are some pics from after we started redoing the edges. We've been slowly swapping in the new flat rocks, both around the perimeter of the pond and around the surrounding retaining walls. Now that it's hot outside, I've kind of lost steam, so once fall comes and the plants start to die back, I plan to go back and redo the waters edge with a bit more attention to detail. For now, it's passable, lol! The plants hide a myriad of flaws, to say the least ;-)

Since these pics have been taken, i've used some of the larger flat stones from our pallets to redo the walkway you see in the first pic and have surrounded them with sedum plantings (no pics of that b/c i'm a slackadoodle) so the overall effect is much less "dirt and clay" and much more "lush garden retreat". At least, that's what I tell myself, lol!

View attachment 73576 View attachment 73577 View attachment 73579 View attachment 73581 View attachment 73582
Very nice -- thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I had the pond constructed by a local - and very incompetent pond company.
I like the design but wish it didn't have so much of a "necklace" look to it. Next time i may go with Ledgerock on the top. I'm having serious problems and tmay have to have some of the pond reconstructed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 214
Reaction score
@addy1 @j.w @callingcolleen1 I absolutely love your ponds! Rocks! I love rocks!

@Mucky_Waters Whatever your ideas are/were I want to see them [no matter what everyone else says.....]. For an enclosed pond, yours is an example of what you can do in a space.

@michey1st Welcome to this thread! I recall your thread, but I wasn't where I am now....

@everyone else -- OK, guys, you can at least look up some pictures to post for ideas!
I like the flat stone also. Totally approachable from all sides. I wont land scape until next year but I have a ton of slate I scored from a bird store that reclocated into a strip mall and had to get rid of the garden area of their rental! I to am going with large flats

My pond is going to have a berm that's about 8" - 10" high, and at least a foot wide. I am somewhat limited in space, going away from the pond due to other things
being in the way.
View attachment 73028

I plan to have rocks [did I mention that I love rocks] going from the rock shelf and over the berm. My very simple plan was to have the rocks flow over the berm on the other side, but with a 10" X 12" berm [the previous one was only 6" X 6", approx.], I don't want it to look like a levee [which it is, of course, but to keep pond water in, not yard water out].

Here are a few pics I dug up when I Googled.

View attachment 73030

I kinda like the one with the wide berm that has flat stone across the top. I spend a lot of time sitting, looking at the fish and that looks different and booty-friendly.

The one with the cinder block border as planters -- well not so much cinder blocks, but I had thought about having a flower box against an area of berm -- have it look like the berm and planting area merge into one. NOW, the reason I would do this instead of piling dirt up and planting in it, has to do with our soil and the fact that yard space is at a premium. I would want the planting area to stay put and not be subject to erosion. Just a personal choice.

And I also like the one with the pipes or tubes that are used as a border. No idea what those are, though. PVC pipe in various sizes would work, but if painted, would they stay colored? We have a huge rock placed about 3'-4' out from the pond on one side. I am going to elevate the "flooring" in front of it -- it's between the rock and the pond -- and pave it with flag stones to give us a nice sitting & viewing spot. So, it won't be practical to have a cascade of rocks coming off the berm there -- this might look nice to make it as a sort of niche.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had the pond constructed by a local - and very incompetent pond company.
I like the design but wish it didn't have so much of a "necklace" look to it. Next time i may go with Ledgerock on the top. I'm having serious problems and tmay have to have some of the pond reconstructed.

What kind of problems Gloria?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis ok thanks for refreshing my brain. I went and looked and now I remember...............the under gravel system.

Ask a Question