Show me pictures -- how have YOU finished off the edges of your pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm looking for ideas.....the "normal" stuff to your thinking-out-of-the-box creations!

Would love to see pics [distance, close-up.....] of ALL the different, various, and creative ways you guys have done your pond edgings. Rocks, blocks, flower beds, decks, boardwalks, you name it and I want to see it!

And please include instructions if it was something a little different. I have no construction skill what-so-ever (and neither does my Hubby).

[[[[The renovation is almost completed -- YEA! Before the take-down, we had the "it's-not-quite-finished-yet" look of rocks coming over the berm. I like and plan to keep the rocks, but was thinking I would like to vary the "look" in a couple of spots.....and this time it will be the "it's-finally-finished-and-looks-great" look :) The section that runs parallel to the turtle habitat, I was thinking of having a raised wooden walkway or "boardwalk" abut the pond edge... see photo ]]]]
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'll be sitting here with my tea waiting for the reply as well :)

keeping ideas for my next pond :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I'm curious to see too. I have years of building experience, but most of my ideas get rejected in this forum anyway, so I'll just sit back and watch what others have to offer. ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh I just have plain old rocks but they are kind of bermed up on the pathway side. It's all a mish mash of plants and rocks thrown in together. Nothing really out of the box. Looking forward to seeing others ideas on the wild side and some different unexpected additions.

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6154.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Almost home, but not home to give good pictures, this is just what is on my computer. One more day of driving.

Stock tank, the chicken wire is gone now, wide weave net replaced it

DSC06466.JPG

deck pond

Capture.JPG

small preform, lotus stock tank, small liner pond in a loop with the big pond
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

stream edge

Capture.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OMG JW!! That cobble is just fantastc!!! Love how nice your edges look too!!
Mucky we enjoy looking at your pond and I am open minded and would not reject anyones ideas. Besides you have some really creative ideas, you must be left handed?

Thank you Colleen and I learned to make the stone pathway from you Colleen :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 @j.w @callingcolleen1 I absolutely love your ponds! Rocks! I love rocks!

@Mucky_Waters Whatever your ideas are/were I want to see them [no matter what everyone else says.....]. For an enclosed pond, yours is an example of what you can do in a space.

@michey1st Welcome to this thread! I recall your thread, but I wasn't where I am now....

@everyone else -- OK, guys, you can at least look up some pictures to post for ideas!

My pond is going to have a berm that's about 8" - 10" high, and at least a foot wide. I am somewhat limited in space, going away from the pond due to other things
being in the way.
image.jpg

I plan to have rocks [did I mention that I love rocks] going from the rock shelf and over the berm. My very simple plan was to have the rocks flow over the berm on the other side, but with a 10" X 12" berm [the previous one was only 6" X 6", approx.], I don't want it to look like a levee [which it is, of course, but to keep pond water in, not yard water out].

Here are a few pics I dug up when I Googled.

image.jpg

I kinda like the one with the wide berm that has flat stone across the top. I spend a lot of time sitting, looking at the fish and that looks different and booty-friendly.

The one with the cinder block border as planters -- well not so much cinder blocks, but I had thought about having a flower box against an area of berm -- have it look like the berm and planting area merge into one. NOW, the reason I would do this instead of piling dirt up and planting in it, has to do with our soil and the fact that yard space is at a premium. I would want the planting area to stay put and not be subject to erosion. Just a personal choice.

And I also like the one with the pipes or tubes that are used as a border. No idea what those are, though. PVC pipe in various sizes would work, but if painted, would they stay colored? We have a huge rock placed about 3'-4' out from the pond on one side. I am going to elevate the "flooring" in front of it -- it's between the rock and the pond -- and pave it with flag stones to give us a nice sitting & viewing spot. So, it won't be practical to have a cascade of rocks coming off the berm there -- this might look nice to make it as a sort of niche.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Surely not the idea you are seeking yet one of my favorite pond edges that mimics nature is grass running up to the ponds edge. For a super clean look it would be the same as your lawn. For a rustic look multiple levels of grasses. Look at your property and take clues from what you see. Go to a real natural pond and creek in your area. Take photos to see if you can gain inspiration. More later.........

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the idea of the flat butt stones and the rusty pipes or whatever they are, are cool too! Can't wait to see how you do all this and pix when you are doing it and done..................well as they say, never done but lets call it stages. At that stage we want to see :)

Ask a Question