Siberian Irises for pond?

M

MariaTeresa

Has anyone successfully had Siberian irises in their pond? I hear that they don't like to be overly wet, but I have a few and would like to try them in the pond. I'm not sure how I would overwinter them, though. Any advice?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just asked the same thing recently. They seem to be more of a bog plant than a pond plant, but addy says she has some in her pond. I got mine about a month ago and decided to try them in the pond. They're still ok so far. If I notice they aren't doing well I'll take them out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some in the pond that are doing just fine. Also a bunch in the bog, some even escaped to land.

My land ones are blooming, the pond ones are growing, the bog ones have flower buds on them

M

MariaTeresa

Where is the water line on them in the pond, addy? Do they need to have the crown out of the water or do you have it submerged? How did you overwinter them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think the irises in the pic are Siberian type. They are called Caesar's Brother, and I have lots of them in my bogs. They are blooming first in my yard, the ones in the ground are about 4-5 days behind, looks like. I also have the wider blade irises in my bogs. I don't do anything in the winter, they overwinter in the bogs, frozen solid at one point or another, and come back just fine. They are hardy in the ground, so in the bog or pond is no different.
Caesars Brother iris blooming.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CE. I like your irises. I have irises in my pond. They are planted in a tray with pea gravel under the water and they come back every year fine. i just leave them there in the winter and don't do anything. For that matter the same thing with my water lilies. They are in sort sort of container in the middle of my pond and they come back every year better and better.

M

MariaTeresa

CE, what a beautiful picture! Caesar's Brother is one of the types I've recently acquired, so it is good to hear that it does well in boggy conditions. You give me hope that perhaps my irises will work out well in the pond (and come back next spring!). I also have one called Ruffled Velvet the flowers of which are simply gorgeous!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where is the water line on them in the pond, addy? Do they need to have the crown out of the water or do you have it submerged? How did you overwinter them?
Mine are around crown under water by around 5 inches or so, I know that area of the pond freezes up solid, they always come back. They are in some gallon containers you get land plants in from the nursery. I have had to divide them some they are growing so well. The ones in the bog are crown at water level.

Here are some pictures from last year, pond iris.
DSC07159.JPG
DSC07160.JPG
DSC07163.JPG

M

MariaTeresa

Thanks, addy! Those are some beautiful flowers. I'll keep my irises in the pond and hope for the best!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would plant one on ground in case they do not do well . So you don't lose them all.

Ask a Question