Sick fish??

aceofspades

Elena Salvatore
Reaction score
Country
United States
My guppy isn’t moving much and won’t eat. He has this weird bump growing on his side. Anyone know what’s wrong?

Attachments

• 453EC761-70F0-4061-962B-2E4A0BBB7A6C.jpeg
    453EC761-70F0-4061-962B-2E4A0BBB7A6C.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tumor or parasite. Either way, at that size, I don't think he will make it. Remove him from the rest, and look the others over closely to see if any others have the same problem. I'd suggest euthanizing him with clove oil in water.

aceofspades

Elena Salvatore
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tumor or parasite. Either way, at that size, I don't think he will make it. Remove him from the rest, and look the others over closely to see if any others have the same problem. I'd suggest euthanizing him with clove oil in water.
Hi, thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the guppy died before I was able to see your response. Could other fish in my aquarium have caught whatever he had? I don’t really know a lot about fish disease, so I’m not sure if it works like that, but IF my other fish developed tumors or whatever that is, would it have been from the fish itself or from bad water? (Not sure if that makes sense, sorry.)

aceofspades

Elena Salvatore
Reaction score
Country
United States
also, on the note about bad water, I had some construction going on in my basement (which is where the aquarium is) for about six weeks. I believe the dust/debris might have contaminated the water. I did cover the tank, but obviously that’s not 100% effective. I also didna water change a few days ago when constructed ended, (which is around the time I noticed the tumor).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I just did a reply on your thread about tumors, so you may get this information twice. Now with additional back ground, I can elaborate a wee bit. Sometimes fish get sick, just like humans. That tumor may or may not have been cancer, or the bodies response to something ( contamination, injury, parasite) which led to its death. Short of paying a vet to do a vivisection, there is no way to know. What you can do, is keep you fish in good quality water, and don’t risk spreading it to other fish if you have other tanks. Until you are sure that none of the others are showing the same symptoms, which could take several months to be sure of, keep the net, water siphon, and anything else used in that tank separate from supplies for other tanks. Wash your hands and arms well after doing water changes or any contact with that tank.
Should you see other fish with those same symptoms, you have a few options. If these are expensive, show quality fish, and you have the money for it, contact a vet which is experienced in fish disease and pathology. Otherwise, you can try researching what issues can cause tumors that are infectious, and try treating them accordingly. Or, if you have plenty of other fish and tanks, and are willing to risk loosing that entire tank colony, you can just remove the ones which present with the symptoms and euthanize them. There is a chance that if the colony is otherwise healthy, and this is some form of infection, you will end up with survivors immune to the pathogen.
Doing a full quarantine, keeping a close eye, and doing frequent water changes will help. If there was a contamination from some source, the frequent water changes will help dilute it, while hopefully not damaging the balance in the tank. The fish could have just had an issue such as a hernia which allowed intestines to get twisted, or some non infectious disease such as cancer. These are things which we have little to no control over, and will not affect the other fish. In which case, if in three months, none of the other are having issues, you can resume normal fish keeping and chalk this up to a beyond your ability problem.

aceofspades

Elena Salvatore
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just did a reply on your thread about tumors, so you may get this information twice. Now with additional back ground, I can elaborate a wee bit. Sometimes fish get sick, just like humans. That tumor may or may not have been cancer, or the bodies response to something ( contamination, injury, parasite) which led to its death. Short of paying a vet to do a vivisection, there is no way to know. What you can do, is keep you fish in good quality water, and don’t risk spreading it to other fish if you have other tanks. Until you are sure that none of the others are showing the same symptoms, which could take several months to be sure of, keep the net, water siphon, and anything else used in that tank separate from supplies for other tanks. Wash your hands and arms well after doing water changes or any contact with that tank.
Should you see other fish with those same symptoms, you have a few options. If these are expensive, show quality fish, and you have the money for it, contact a vet which is experienced in fish disease and pathology. Otherwise, you can try researching what issues can cause tumors that are infectious, and try treating them accordingly. Or, if you have plenty of other fish and tanks, and are willing to risk loosing that entire tank colony, you can just remove the ones which present with the symptoms and euthanize them. There is a chance that if the colony is otherwise healthy, and this is some form of infection, you will end up with survivors immune to the pathogen.
Doing a full quarantine, keeping a close eye, and doing frequent water changes will help. If there was a contamination from some source, the frequent water changes will help dilute it, while hopefully not damaging the balance in the tank. The fish could have just had an issue such as a hernia which allowed intestines to get twisted, or some non infectious disease such as cancer. These are things which we have little to no control over, and will not affect the other fish. In which case, if in three months, none of the other are having issues, you can resume normal fish keeping and chalk this up to a beyond your ability problem.
Thank you so much!

Ask a Question