sick fish!

Reaction score
hi this is the first forum i have been on so bear with me if it takes awhile for me to post or they end up on another stream. anyways i have a about 1000 or more indoor pond. with a three inch bottom drain that goes to a self built acylic filter. some of the acrylic is clear and some is blue. the filter is 3 feet long 12 in high and 12 in wide. and i have a 2250 gph and 1250 pumps running my pond. ok now that is out there. one of my large fish died. i have never had any problems with my koi before but he was acting like he wasnt getting enough oxygen and would try to stay at the top of the water wo he could get as much oxygen as possible. i tried medicating the problem with some medications for aquarium fish but he stayed that way and died. i thought it was an isolated case but now one of my favorite fish is acting the same way. does anyonehave any ideas

Reaction score
Welcome babyblue! Have you checked your nitrites? Sounds like they may be high. Also, do you have salt in your pond?
Also, how old is your bio filter? And have you tried doing partial water changes at all?

Reaction score
yes i have a little bit of salt in the pond. i usually add maybe half a pond per 500 gallons. but i did give the fish that died a fish bath and quarantined him and added marcyn plus. ( anti biotics for fish ) which you have probably heard of lol. i built my filter about a month ago and yeah i try to do a water change about once a month but sometimes i forget and may go two months. usually they are about 25 percent changes

Reaction score
Ok well, a new bio filter will take I believe 4-5 weeks to fully function correctly. In the mean time water changes often will help reduce the nitrates and nitrites. Did you possibly use a beneficial bacteria product to seed your new filter? (Such as Micro Lift) And increase your saline level to .3%. Be sure to re-add salt as you change the water.

Reaction score
i have some micro lift but i figure since the pond has been running for about a year that i wouldnt need it

Reaction score
its indoors do you think the light would be enough. and should i just put them in the pond or in the filter

Reaction score
bio balls. and some medium filter pads, but i wash those out on occasion. i have read that there are benefits when the media is washed and also i have read just leave it alone and it will take care of its self, but when the water gets to murky i feel like i have to wash the media. it does help tho

Reaction score
You truly need to have a mechanical filter ( or pre filter) before your bio filter to remove the muck that accumulates. That way you can clean that filter easily without disturbing the bio filter. If you absolutely have to clean the filter pads, I would only gently clean them with pond water in a bucket. Do not clean your bio filter completely, or you will have to seed it all over again.

Reaction score
ok. i got ya. so have you ever heard of any diseases where the fish has a hard time breathing. some type of gill disease or something

Ask a Question