sick fish!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012.

1. babyblue86

babyblue86

hi this is the first forum i have been on so bear with me if it takes awhile for me to post or they end up on another stream. anyways i have a about 1000 or more indoor pond. with a three inch bottom drain that goes to a self built acylic filter. some of the acrylic is clear and some is blue. the filter is 3 feet long 12 in high and 12 in wide. and i have a 2250 gph and 1250 pumps running my pond. ok now that is out there. one of my large fish died. i have never had any problems with my koi before but he was acting like he wasnt getting enough oxygen and would try to stay at the top of the water wo he could get as much oxygen as possible. i tried medicating the problem with some medications for aquarium fish but he stayed that way and died. i thought it was an isolated case but now one of my favorite fish is acting the same way. does anyonehave any ideas

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. babyblue86

Fishylove

Welcome babyblue! Have you checked your nitrites? Sounds like they may be high. Also, do you have salt in your pond?
    Also, how old is your bio filter? And have you tried doing partial water changes at all?

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. babyblue86

babyblue86

yes i have a little bit of salt in the pond. i usually add maybe half a pond per 500 gallons. but i did give the fish that died a fish bath and quarantined him and added marcyn plus. ( anti biotics for fish ) which you have probably heard of lol. i built my filter about a month ago and yeah i try to do a water change about once a month but sometimes i forget and may go two months. usually they are about 25 percent changes

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  4. babyblue86

babyblue86

i forgot to add that i checked my nitrites and they are ok but my nitrates are kinda high

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  5. babyblue86

Fishylove

Ok well, a new bio filter will take I believe 4-5 weeks to fully function correctly. In the mean time water changes often will help reduce the nitrates and nitrites. Did you possibly use a beneficial bacteria product to seed your new filter? (Such as Micro Lift) And increase your saline level to .3%. Be sure to re-add salt as you change the water.

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  6. babyblue86

babyblue86

do you think my filter is large enough for the size of my pond

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  7. babyblue86

babyblue86

i have some micro lift but i figure since the pond has been running for about a year that i wouldnt need it

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  8. babyblue86

Fishylove

And if you don't have plants, floating or the like, get some.

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  9. babyblue86

Fishylove

Hmmm. What type of media do you have in your filter?

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  10. babyblue86

babyblue86

its indoors do you think the light would be enough. and should i just put them in the pond or in the filter

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  11. babyblue86

babyblue86

bio balls. and some medium filter pads, but i wash those out on occasion. i have read that there are benefits when the media is washed and also i have read just leave it alone and it will take care of its self, but when the water gets to murky i feel like i have to wash the media. it does help tho

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  12. babyblue86

Fishylove

Ok So you have just the bio filter and no mechanical filter then?

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  13. babyblue86

Fishylove

Plants in the pond

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  14. babyblue86

Fishylove

You truly need to have a mechanical filter ( or pre filter) before your bio filter to remove the muck that accumulates. That way you can clean that filter easily without disturbing the bio filter. If you absolutely have to clean the filter pads, I would only gently clean them with pond water in a bucket. Do not clean your bio filter completely, or you will have to seed it all over again.

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  15. babyblue86

babyblue86

ok. i got ya. so have you ever heard of any diseases where the fish has a hard time breathing. some type of gill disease or something

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  16. babyblue86

Fishylove

Personally, I don't touch my bio filter, except to do water changes. I have a 55 gal up flow filter with a ball valve on the bottom for back washing setiment ( but if you do regular water changing and have a pre- filter you should never have sediment in that type of filter)

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  17. babyblue86

babyblue86

yeah i have alot to learn. i've only been doing the hobby for about a year now. so with the mechanical filter i would pads and after that run another pvc pipe to my bio filter with a shut off valve inbtween so it will not disturb my bio filter?

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  18. babyblue86

Fishylove

They can get paricites like flukes that can get in their gills, but I'm not too experienced in that, others on here would be better at that. How many fish do you have in the pond? And if you can, take a look at his gills, they should be pink and meaty, and not pale.

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
  19. babyblue86

babyblue86

i have about ten fish in my basement pond. it measures about 9'x6'x 2' deep i have a few that are around a foot maybe a little better but the majority are about nine in or so.

babyblue86, Jul 27, 2012
  20. babyblue86

Fishylove

Well my pond is outside, I made my mechanical filter out of a rubbermaid tube just big enough to hold my pump. I cut three rows of holes in the lid. Then you cut a heavy pad to fit the top of the lid. Then I put screen material over that and secure to the lid so it doesn't slide. Then cut a hole in the side where the pump "out" attachment comes out, put the pump in and secure the lid. That pump will pump cleaned water to your bio and then from there to your water feature or what ever you are using to disturb the water for oxygen.

Fishylove, Jul 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question