skimmer lid cover?

Reaction score
We used to call DurRock cement board. And the Hardie is so different and I've never seen a different brand so I use the brand name. Sometimes I might call it fiber board. To be clear here's a pic of what I call DurRock cement board.
799px-Cement_Board.jpg

I really dislike the above stuff whatever you call it. It was OK for it's intended purpose and I did use it along time ago for bathrooms. But it would fall apart I think if used for a skimmer lid, so I would not use the above stuff.

Hardie Board stays together really well and you can get it really thin. Great stuff. We use it here to build outdoor kitchens. I saw one guy who used it as siding for his modern home. I think they make an actually siding, like clapboard, out of this material too.

The DurRock company also has a product that seems to be the same as Hardie, but I've never used it. They call it DurRock Cement Board Next Gen which is a monthful and pretty confusing imo.

Reaction score
>

They do ... it's what we put on the front of our house... It is called Hardie Plank (Front of house is clapboard, the rest is shingled.) Nice for us in the regards that our clapboards have a 30 year warranty:)

Reaction score
The hardie board planks are a nice size to line inside raised veggie beds also.

I am thinking of adding a savio compact skimmer, which would be in a mulch pathway border. Guess I could use the hardie board trick and glue big chunks of oak chips to it to blend into the pathway.

Reaction score
Just wanted to correct myself ... what we have is "Hardie Backer"... not certain if that is the same product WB is calling Hardie Board. It says "Hardie Backer" right on it.

Attachments

• DSCN6064.JPG
    DSCN6064.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Yes Hardie Backer is what I call Hardie Board. Wrong term, but it's stuck in my head and it's the only head I have.

Reaction score
LOL... When you said Hardie Board, this IS what I was thinking of, but then was second guessing as the "James Hardie" product list is pretty broad. Didnt know if they had yet another product that I wasnt familiar with. It made me think of sheetrock again in the regards that there is the regular, then the blue board, and the green board LOL.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, everyone for the info. I'll have to see if this material is available around here. It's been a few years since I've used anything similar.
John

Reaction score
A house I demoed awhile back had a cement board that was just 1/8" thick and very string and dense. I kept all I could and it's handy stuff. Never seen it at a building supply, would like to.

Reaction score
Wow WB. I've seen 1/4" but not 1/8". Usually on a demo job we are saving copper (for scrap) and always watching for neat items. Wondering if cement board so thin is more to a specific region?

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I no longer use the lid for my skimmer. It doesn't fit that well anyway. I have a huge piece of slate, then a few smaller pieces that I throw over the top. In the photo, the skimmer is in the foreground, right below the reflection of the bench.

Attachments

• 540562_3388684246886_1404070237_n.jpg
    540562_3388684246886_1404070237_n.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 196

Ask a Question