skimmer lid cover?

Reaction score
i have an aquascape skimmer and the lid is black. Last year i had the great idea of spraypainting the lid a rock color. well over the winter the paint chipped all over.

i was wondering what you guys do to blend the skimmer into the landscape. i was looking at the fake rock ones but they are expensive.

any thoughts or pics??

Reaction score
I am using a Savio skimmer and waterfall. Up here in Ontario flagstone is cheap. I went to my local rock supply and found a couple of thin pieces 5/8”. I think I paid $10 or $15 for both pieces. I just sit them on top, and works well enough for me. One of these years I will cut it a bit smaller. The first picture you can see the skimmer without the stone. The waterfall has the same top as the skimmer, and is hidden well with this rock.

DSC_1429.JPG DSC_0817.JPG DSC_0798.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You should have used a good primer first and roughened the surface

Reaction score
lol sissy i did use a primer.

@ even didnt think of that using a thin rock, might be able to get something like that at hd and glu the rock to the top of the skimmer.

in your pics where is the skimmer???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you may be able to get a big piece of slate in a garden center or home depot or lowes .Even a big piece of ceramic tile would work the come in sizes up to 36 by 36 now .

Reaction score
you could use sprayfoam on the lid and the scratch it up and then paint it rock color. You shouldn't have a problem with the paint sticking to the spray foam.

Reaction score
Piece of Hardie Board with fake mortar rock on top. Some fake rock around it and you'd never know there was a skimmer there.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hardie Board? Sorry, WB, not familiar with that term. It may be called something else up here in the frozen North!
John

Reaction score
John, we have a bunch here. It LOOKS like sheetrock, but more like a concrete type material. It is often used on top of your subfloor, before installing ceramic tiles ... comes in 3' x 5' sheets ... not sure I'd use it for a cover, but that's what it is ...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
OK, we call it cement board. Also used around shower enclosures in place of drywall. I can see it lasting a long time as a cover. Good idea!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh just look at craigslist and near greensboro NC someone is selling cheap flag stone and concrete block and rocks .

Reaction score
Lucky you! I looked at craigs list today for rock and pond supplies ... came up with 3 week old fry ... hmmm, I looked at the pond temp today and my water is only 50 degrees. I have four fish who look like they may be plumping up with eggs, but not expecting fry any time soon ... I think someone's fish got confused a couple of weeks ago with that warm spell ...

Ask a Question