Skimmer

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One of the problems I had with it is if the pump gets ahead of the fill rate, the whole thing gets lighter and floats up, which slows the fill even more until your pump cavitates and sounds like a three year old sucking the last drop of chocolate milk through a straw.

Yup!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
101_0915.JPG
101_0916.JPG
101_0917.JPG
101_0918.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A little off subject, but I found out that Amazon is loathe to accept unfavorable reviews

I've also noticed they've started filtering reviews by "verified purchase". In other words, if you didn't buy it from Amazon your review won't show up unless someone knows to remove the filter. I mean it is their website so I guess they can do what they want. Yelp does a similar thing and uses some mysterious algorithm to decide which reviews show up and which are "hidden". I think the algorithm involves cash.

Back to the subject - we don't have a skimmer proper, but we do have a negative edge that acts as one. I can't imagine our pond without it. We have only one small crabapple tree near the pond and the amount of debris from that one tree is incredible. Blossoms, blossom husks, apples, leaves. Never ending. It's all light so it floats right out and we scoop it out whenever we get around to it. And on dry, hot days we get lots of dust and pollen landing on the pond that gets skimmed right out. The water stays nice and sparkly! That's an official pond thing - the sparkle!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
agreed trees are nice around the pond...l but problematic

Honestly if it weren't trees it would be something else. We find the occasional oak leaf in our pond and yard and there isn't an oak tree anywhere even close by that I know of! Wind can do all kinds of wacky things!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ours isn't very attractive, but fortunately is hidden under our "Bridge". It's just a Tetra that I fastened some insulation foam to the sides and ballasted the side pockets with pea gravel. During high water the sticks over the cover keep it submerged enough to prevent cavitation of the pump. The pump is attached through a 1 1/2" hose and discharges about 15 feet away along the side of the pond which between that, the waterfall and the bog return create a stately circular flow in the pond.
We have a lot of trees around and I have to clean the skimmer every other day because of the pollen trapped in the mesh media. The system isn't perfect, but I didn't want to introduce the potential for a leak by cutting into the side of the liner and install a formal skimmer.
As it is, it's pretty hidden.....
DSC03623.JPG
The "sticks" rotate outwards to allow opening the lid and cleaning the element.

DSC03626.JPG
Difficult to see even knowing where to look.

DSC03624.JPG
Not very attractive, but very functional and easy to service the skimmer, aerator, and mechanical filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ours isn't very attractive, but fortunately is hidden under our "Bridge". It's just a Tetra that I fastened some insulation foam to the sides and ballasted the side pockets with pea gravel. During high water the sticks over the cover keep it submerged enough to prevent cavitation of the pump. The pump is attached through a 1 1/2" hose and discharges about 15 feet away along the side of the pond which between that, the waterfall and the bog return create a stately circular flow in the pond.
We have a lot of trees around and I have to clean the skimmer every other day because of the pollen trapped in the mesh media. The system isn't perfect, but I didn't want to introduce the potential for a leak by cutting into the side of the liner and install a formal skimmer.
As it is, it's pretty hidden.....
View attachment 101004
The "sticks" rotate outwards to allow opening the lid and cleaning the element.

View attachment 101005
Difficult to see even knowing where to look.

View attachment 101006
Not very attractive, but very functional and easy to service the skimmer, aerator, and mechanical filter.
Nice!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great idea tim as no cutting of liner and worry about leaking Great idea for your bridge or dock as I would call it to hide your equipment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you!
One thing I have appreciated about this lash-up is the skimmer housing, suction hose, and (submersible) pump can be hauled up out of the pond and an obstruction removed. So far (over three years) other than winter removal, I've had to take the system out twice; once to remove a toad and once a small fish from the pump inlet. It's a nuisance, but far simpler than a fixed system. I have since placed a small rock on the basket to keep the elements seated within the housing. I don't run the unit 24/7 for fear of starving the pump when the mesh gets full and suspect before the "rock retainer" when the system was turned off the elements drifted up a little allowing the toad and fish access under the basket and mesh. My indicator for time-to-clean is the discharge volume (current developed) from the pump.

Ask a Question