152.6 KB · Views: 288

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, if you can figure a way to incorporate a movable weir like is found in most manufactured skimmers and also allow for some form of debris basket or net. And be able to contain a pump large enough for the pond that it is attached to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think I would look for a couple of the fine plastic wax stripping pads that go on commercial floor buffing machines, (looks like very course plastic steel wool,) and then fabricate a trap basket for the larger debris out of 1/4" hardware cloth.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you need a skimmer .I know I did not need one so instead used 2 filters .Nothing really blows into my pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Do you need a skimmer .I know I did not need one so instead used 2 filters .Nothing really blows into my pond .
IMHO a skimmer also removes floating organic compounds which keeps oxygen in the air from being absorbed into the water. Algae cells contain as much as 50% oils, that when released will smother the pond. Skimming off any floating algae or foam is always a plus as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My top water is agitated by the aerator and no floating algae at all and never have had any .2 filters and my pvc pipe on the bottom with holes drilled in it to let extra water keep the bottom clean .Right now I have had only 1 9 watt uv running on a 5000 + gallon pond .You can see the bottom a littl over 4 feet down .I have had a lot of rain this year also and my pond has never had a skimmer
101_0808.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
something like in the picture. would love to get that one... but it is so expensive.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
however my pump has a 2 inch inlet on it that is threaded. I supposed I could rig something up pipe wise and make a surface skimmer to rest on top of the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
maybe something like this. I am just tired of having to clean my pump off every other day.

Attachments

• pool skimmer.jpg
    pool skimmer.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 203
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
as you can see here.. I have this plant - which I love - hanging over the sides of the rock and into the pond in places. The koi love to eat at these plants which eventually ends up in having little sprigs of plant floating in the pond daily. so a skimmer would help this issue. Also have an ornamental peach tree near the pond and the peaches always fall into the pond. The skimmer would help with that too I think.

Attachments

• side plants.png
    side plants.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 220

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
something like in the picture. would love to get that one... but it is so expensive.

Pond skimmers can be found for considerably less cost than the $500.00 that is asked for the Helix skimmer pictured.
Check around.I kno9w that EZPro and Atlantic Water Gardens both manufacture skimmers that sell for less than $200.00 and they both offer quality products.

As an aside, I don't know where this photo was taken but whoever installed this Helix skimmer did a less than quality job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would agree with that statement. yes less than quality job... looks like something I would do.

Ask a Question