Slowing Down Already?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have had my pond for a little over 15 years. It is only Sept. 3 and the fish seem to be really slowing down already - to the point of sitting on the bottom. I do not believe it is that cold already - I am in Ohio. Thermometer is broken, but water can't be that cold already. Plus - today I found a dead koi. This does not seem normal. I have had the pond going into October in past years. Any ideas? My koi are very old and dear to me. This was a crushing blow. Thank you.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sorry for the loss of your koi. Could be a predator visited the pond. Herons will often spear fish, killing them and then leave them for dead in the pond especially large fish. When a heron comes by my pond, the fish sit completely still in and under the large corrugated pipe I sunk in the pond.

Any visible injuries on the dead koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Not that kind. I have a huge Dragon Tongue plant that grows upright in the spring and then falls over into the water due to weight and wind and nicely covers almost half of the surface area. Most of the fish are hiding under there right now, but the ones that are out are sitting on the bottom like they do during hibernation. I will get some pics of the deceased and post them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, boy. That's too bad! I agree with you - it's been cool here, too, but not enough to send the fish into winter mode. I wondered too, if you had something go after your fish and they are spooked. Any other signs or symptoms? Some pictures will be helpful!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I'm assuming that you've tested your water parameters?
The fish sitting on the bottom and one actually dead says something is stressing them out.
Could it be a spike in the system?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish .Are you sure it was not a predator since the others are hiding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A friend is using my test kit, so cannot test until tomorrow. I did a partial water change today - added some pond salt as a tonic plus a dechlorinator with stress coat in it. Unfortunately found two more fatalities. I may have cried. :cry: I have a really powerful aerator, plus a waterfall, plus a spitter so I don't think oxygen is a problem. The second and third casualties have no marks or disease looking areas at all. I use a skimmer filter. The water is really clear - and was so even before the change. The remaining fish seem to be doing fine, but I will remain cautiously vigilant. I have never had a problem with raccoons or herons. Do the fish really sit on the bottom out of fear? The water is too deep for a raccoon to go in, but I suppose if one was swimming near the surface he would be in danger. Thanks for the input. I am just crushed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No I have not. It's about 2500 gallons. The fish have seemed to have stopped growing - they have been the same for several years now. (Unless since I see them everyday I don't notice any growth.) They do spawn and only last year has one managed to survive and grow. He's a nice size now, but when they were much smaller I would have a bunch of new ones every year. Friend with my test kit decided to leave on vacation this morning, and although she promised to drop it off before leaving - she didn't . Not cool at all!! And I gave her a lot of help with her pond. I am disgusted with her. The fish are looking better today - pretty active and interested in eating. Most important - no fatalities overnight. A couple of them are still laying low with little movement. Cautiously optimistic.

Ask a Question