small area

Reaction score
I have a small yard, perhaps 75x75. I also have young children who play in the yard. Does it make sense to even consider putting a garden pond in a yard that small around kids? What is the smallest reasonable area I would need to devote to the pond?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey Trackerway,
You call that small???? My last yard was 18'x20'. In this yard I had an 8'x8' patio, a 4'x12' veggie garden, a 2'x6' shed, over 50 perennials, a compost heap, an old fashioned cellar door (the kind that lays on the ground on a slant) and 2 small ponds (approx. 20gal and 40gal)! I also had a small dog, 2 cats, one girl from the age of 6yrs to 24yrs, one boy from birth to 12yrs, 2nd boy from birth to 7yrs and last girl from birth to 2yrs.
Did I forget to mention bicycles, wagons, toys, kiddie pools, friends and a double hammock!

Reaction score
You got plenty of room.. My current pond is 15x10 roughly 1800 gallons give or take.. Crammed into a really small area in the front yard..

Reaction score
If you have small children in the home you may consider putting in a pondless waterfall and stream. You will have the sound and movement of water with a much lesser risk of a child falling in. You have more than enough yard for this

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
build a low fence around the pond to keep the smallest of the kids safe,

Ask a Question