Small Pellet Koi Food

Reaction score
I always keep 3/32" size pellets around for my baby Koi. What I have used is OK. 45% protein. It causes quite the oil sheen on top when it hits the water. I just do not like the look of the oil sheen and I know that is adding to water quality issues since it is not being procesed by the fish.

I have been looking at the BlackWater Creek koi food. I have asked at least 4 or 5 different sellers what size the "Small Pellets" are and have got no response. Anyone have any ideas of the size? Or anyone have a suggestion on what they use in the small 3/32" size. I keep running in to all of the 3/32" size is the exact same ingredients and just want to try something different for a little variety.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have had luck with tetra products winter and summer food I buy the koi sticks and if I have babies I just break it up between my fingers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's your water temps. I don't feed my koi when it;s below 50 degrees.
With low temps you should feed low protein food.
If you don't want a oil slick don't buy Black Water Creek koi food.
I use Hai Feng Quick Grow all year round. When the water temps get above 65 I add higher protein food to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That poultry by-product meal, blood meal, corn gluten meal scares me

Reaction score
These are babies that are inside with me. I have a room dedicated to them and my eBay business. See some attached photos. They are 2-6" long and I know I have more babies coming in a couple of months. When you are feeding a few hundred or thousand, breaking it up is not an option. The Koi food on eBay is some that I have used and causes the oil slick. So I was just looking for some other options.

Attachments

• Setup1.jpg
    Setup1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Setup3a.JPG
    Setup3a.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Setup2a.JPG
    Setup2a.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 285

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow thats some tank set up you have there ,those stock tanks come in handy .I may set back up my ridged pond I started with for babes I don't know why I took it up

Reaction score
Plus there are 3 more 75 gallon fish tanks. The lights are special grow lights and full spectrum lights. The water hyacinth did not make it through the winter like I hoped. It wasn;t because of the lighting or not enough nutrients I don't believe. But because the baby koi keep eating at them until the roots were all gone and then they started eating on the plants themselves. You would plip a plany over and they were stripped to the center of the leaves. Amazing how they would eat them.

Ask a Question