Alternative to oase 10000 in small pond/waterfall setup

Reaction score
Hi
New to the site..

I had installed an oase 10000 aquamax about 10yrs ago in a small pond/waterfall setup..

The pond is about 3ft wide and 2ft deep, the pump pumps to the top of a 6 or 7 ft long ''river'' , eventually spilling back into the pond over a 1ft wide dropstone..The header height is less then 2ft..So its a small set up..( i hope this makes sense)

I was always informed that this 10000 Aquamax was FAR too big a pump for such a small set-up but to be truthful it was simpy adequate in my opinion. There was never a torrent !

However, the aquamax has after very little use, now stopped to pump the water up the tube to the head of the ''river''..??

The pump STILL pumps, but doesnt seem to push the water up the tube out of the pond anymore?? The impeller turns, the water squirts out, but it now lacks power..

The tubing is clean with no punctures, there is no gunge, the pond is cleaned often, so does anyone know why it fails to pump?

And if this 10000 was too powerful then what other pump may suit? I feel that anything less powerful would be inadequate.

Sorry to be so long winded!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sounds like it died, i.e. can't handle the head pressure.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
sounds like it died, i.e. can't handle the head pressure.

Could you expalin the idea of head pressure for me please...?

I have been advised retrospectively by nearly everyone including OASE, that this pump was FAR too big for such a pond, so how could the head pressure be too much.? It really didnt create a MASSIVE flow...

Would anyone else have seen this 10000 pump as too big for a 3ft x 2ft deep pond,and if so could you advise of a pump that might better meet my needs..?

thanks

Reaction score
What is your size and distance of pipe to your falls? What is the vertical height to the top of the waterfall? From the specs it looks like the max head for your pump only 1.3 meters. That is not very much vertical lift which is probably why you were not getting the flow you expected.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Head pressure (dynamic head pressure) has a lot more to it than rise of water. Supply plumbing to the pump should be of better bthan adequate size. Of course, the actual height of water lift, any elbows, valves, UV sterilizer, filter style, and plumbing leaving the pump. You said very little use, and also said 10 years ago, so I'm confused about the actual wear and tear on the pump.

Questions:
1. How big is your plumbing?

2. I'm unfamiliar with this pump, is it submersible?

3. What was in the pond (fish, plants, etc.) that might have impeded the pump's flow?

4. Got a picture of the pond? Might help answer questions.

Welcome to the forum, in any case.

Reaction score
Airic said:
What is your size and distance of pipe to your falls? What is the vertical height to the top of the waterfall? From the specs it looks like the max head for your pump only 1.3 meters. That is not very much vertical lift which is probably why you were not getting the flow you expected.

It is a simple loop system. The tube goes from the pump, exiting the pond, for approx 12"/1 ft roughly vertically.. It then goes horizontally for 3 metres up an extremely slight incline, then finally nearly vertical for another 12" ,whereupon the water exits into the cascade to run down the 3metre cascade into the pond again.

my pipe is approx 3 metres long (10ft) , and it is and about 4cm (1.5") wide....

The drop into the pond from the cascade is less than (1ft) 12" high..

The ''cascade'' is approx 3 metres long and 12" wide.

If i am right in thinking that the head height is the VERTICAL HEIGHT from top of water to the height of the outlet , then the head height is less than 2 feet (24")...
(SO if this pumps' max head was 1.3metres i was WELL within its parameters.)

i have a 3ft wide 2ft deep pump, and the aquamax 10000 ONLY created a reasonable flow..

Unfortuantely i have no photos tonight of this but can/will upload as i know it is difficult to imagine.

I CAN'T get my head around the conflicting opinions..Some people say that my 9000lts/hr pump was WAY too much, others now saying NOT enough? So confused. It would be easier if i could buy another 10000 aqumax as i knew it worked, but they dont make them!, and anyway i wanted something a bit cheaper this time. So i am trying to calcualte the BEST pump...

THANKS!

p.s i have to reiterate - i WAS getting the flow i wanted with this setup for years, but then the pump ALBEIT STILL working and pumping, ceased to be able to pump up the tube anymore!?

Ask a Question