Small Pond questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello first post, first I want to thank the creators and contributors to this site. I have read and learned a lot over the last few weeks.

Our back yard slopes down towards our back patio and there is an area which looks like a natural spot to have a small creek-waterfall. We started out as having a small fountain (
)

and then to a pondless water fall

(
)

but thought it would look more natural flowing into a small pond with its own small eco system of plants and few small fish (mosquito, minnows, etc.)

At the link above I am testing the water flow while it was pondless. You can see where it empties into a 55 gallon drum and then back to the top. I have since removed the drum and started shaping out the pond.

Dimensions: the creek rise is about 4-5 feet, 15 feet long and 12 inches wide, the pond is about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long. The depth varies from 2 feet deep in the middle with 1 foot deep shelves. I estimated it contains form 70-85 gallons. At the top is a small waterfall bio filter box (TetraPond 29656) which will contain a mechanical filter following by scrubby pads on top. The pump is an Alpine Cyclone 3100 which I installed a ball valve in the line to control the flow.

We are on the west coast so no issues with freezing temperatures. We avg 15 inches of rainfall and in our Mediterranean climate that means most all of it in Dec-April.

So on to some questions. With such a small pond is there such thing as too much flow? For example, will there be any issues if the water changes over every 20-30 minutes. I can adjust the flow with the ball valve and make the creek closer to 8 inches wide and more of a slow steady flow.

I have a round aluminum container 22 inches wide by 12 inches deep I can use for a bog to feed the stream instead of the waterfall bio filter. For such a small pond should I bother with a bog or stay with the water fall bio filter?

Are there any potential issues I am overlooking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) You've got a perfect set up for a creek and it'll attract wild life. I think a bog would look pretty planted with a variety of plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With any waterfall/stream feature, the pond/reservoir must be of sufficient size to accommodate the total volume of transit water (that which is flowing at any given time) plus some extra. This does not present any issues when using just a reservoir but when a pond is used as the source for the waterfall/stream, the pond must be of sufficient size to accompany the total volume of transit water when the pump is not in use (times of maintenance or power failure) without overflowing. Consideration must also be given to the desired water level in the source pond. A pond too small will require refilling to replace any water lost to overflow.
For your project, I would recommend the use of just a basin (no fish). No biofiltration would be required and this basin can be planted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer,

Yes the creek/waterfalls does drop/rise the level in the supply container (pond, drum) when it is on/off.

It does not seem to use much water when it is running and there is a check valve to keep water in the waterfall box and supply line.

When I tested it with the drum, I first filled the drum then the waterfall biofilter box with a hose and overflowed it until the creek was full. At this point there is no water in the line yet. Next I started the pump and when it was running pretty strong the water level in the drum dropped about 6-7 inches.

With the pond design the water supply is more horizontal, about 30% larger as opposed to a vertical drum, and with the supply line full of water, I should expect the water level to drop much less (maybe 3 inches?).

I’m not sure if a 3 inch drop/rise will impact any fish if we decide to try that out.

Also does the system need to be running 24/7?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hey welcome! looks very nice .... i had stream pond but not this steep , it will have issue of evaporating water and with the small pond , the effect will amplify , u may have 3 to 6 inches loss or more daily if it runs all day , did u tested ? you may need auto level valve

is it made on concrete stairs?

if you can leave only 2 or 3 steps in whole stream with some reservoir in middle that will reduce evaporation and pressure , can be more stable and calm less splashes and evaporation ..... ie a small pool on top then waterfall then a small pool reservoir then another waterfall going in pond .

imo you can have any small wild type of fishes which are fast and can withstand flow and they will survive easily without filtration or 24hour circulation , ypu can add some plants and rocks your stream and pond will act like bio filter it self for small fishes... if you can have larger pond that wil be best may b double this size would be more proportional

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
some thing like this in 1st few shots how they make it gather in small pools steps then falls to next

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Usman… I have a water source nearby so I could add an auto leveler if needed or a drip system on a timer. The waterfall stairs are not concrete but formed with pressure treated lumber.

I can lessen/adjust the waterfall steps and make them with deeper pools.

Yes the fish, if any will be minnows, mosquito fish, etc.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
That will be a nice project you are working on.

Ask a Question