Small section of pond bank collasped

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I personally would take sissy's idea & make a stone beach. Get some river rock & pea stone from a landscape place or big box store & cover the exposed liner with it. Bigger stones close to the water & smaller ones behind it. As to the longevity of the fix that depends on your pond border construction. What is below the water level there? As in would the larger stones stay in place or slide into the pond? 2 bags of stone (one river rock/pebble & one pea gravel) should be plenty & run you only about $7. Cleanup if you decide you don't like it could be a bit more of a PIA though. Good luck tho!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So quick question as I am facing a similar situation. I am refurbishing an older pond that has no ledges and was considering using sand that I had dug out of the pond to build them but if I'm reading correctly, it sounds like this will fail over time as the sand "leaks" under the liner to the bottom of the pond. Is this right?

Reaction score
Lou, I couldn't tell much from your pics, but from your description it sounds like the soil [sand] under the liner at the edge gave way and collapsed into the pond -- is that it?

We've recently had a similar situation and the pond is currently "down" as we finish up on the repairs. We have clay and a lot of ground water, so we needed to stabilize the wall edges all around the pond -- lots of hard work for one with only occasional spousal & teen-ager help....! We chose to build a cinder block wall along the 2 sections that had previously collapsed, then a cinder block collar tied those 2 walls together. Won't go into details here, but if you want, I can PM more info.

Actually, the collar part wasn't that hard to do, but did involve a little digging.

But this might be something you can do fairly easily. As one poster has already mentioned use mortar -- I have discovered a technique that uses cement [Portland cement, not concrete mix], sand [mortar is cement + sand], and your native soil. I think it's called "dirt-crete." How creative. But basically what you do is mix your dry soil, sand, & Portland together with a tiller -- don't ask about proportions, though, as I just threw them together. Then use that amended "dirt-crete" mixture to build up your wall, berm, or whatever. Then tamp it down well. I don't have a site that I can refer you to, 'cause most of what I found didn't use it this way, but as walk-ways or backfill.

The addition of the Portland to the native soil acts to stabilize the final product.....we'll see how that works.

So, we have a cinder block collar. The berm will be "dirt-crete," as mentioned above.

The "dirt-crete" is a great idea. That's what they used in Canada to build the Al-Can highway.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I'm glad I talked to you first. I had some concerns but wasn't sure if the water pressure would hold it in place. You just saved me a bunch of money on my pond insurance. Lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So quick question as I am facing a similar situation. I am refurbishing an older pond that has no ledges and was considering using sand that I had dug out of the pond to build them but if I'm reading correctly, it sounds like this will fail over time as the sand "leaks" under the liner to the bottom of the pond. Is this right?
Sand won't hold a shape.

My hubby is interested in trying a technique used to build "earthen" homes -- basically, it's soil packed into sacks and stacked -- for the berm around the pond, though, not to build a house. Supposed to be very stable. But I was already into making my dirt-crete for this time.....so that's an experiment for a future pond......

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought about that Mmathis, using the sacks they fill with sand for flooding. I'm just going to try and dig a small ledge out of the top, if it works, great, if not, lots of plants in that section. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep it doesn't have to be a very low ledge, just enough to put some rocks on w/ the water level covering part of the rocks and more rocks on top around the edge. And see that plant in the lower right hand corner. It's called Creeping Jenny and it can hide lots of stuff and flows right over the edge into the pond.
IMG_6050.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dang it Mmathis, I was hoping that'd slide through. :) Jw, what the red stuff a little further up?
LOL! About 2 years ago I was hoping to combat our clay -- Hubby came up with the idea of getting bags of sand [Home Depot....] and stacking them up for a berm. I posted here about that, and BOY was I told off about why SAND isn't a good choice for a berm. Just saying.....;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The reddish/pinkish blooms on the plants growing on the rocks are a type of ground cover Sedum plants. They will crawl over and into the water some also.
IMG_1863.JPG

Ask a Question