Snails or no snails that is the question

Reaction score
Good morning all from the Highlands of Scotland. I've a small garden pond that's been running for a year. It's 10x5x3. A few marginal plants and 2 planted water lily's plus 6 goldfish. I'm looking to add some snails but not sure what to buy ? They need to be able to handle freezing over in the winter

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All I have are small snails that came from who knows where. I hear the Trap Door ones are pretty cool tho!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
I plan to re-add some Japanese snails.

The first six came to horrible endings at the wee hands of raccoons.

Now I have a protective screen ....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
birdywalks.gif
@Dukku

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I myself don't like the idea of snails in my pond as i have a epdm liner and as the snails may die or as i get in the pond and set on one of them i can crush the shell and making for very sharp little knifes that could cut the liner with ease

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I"ve stepped on those empty shells with my bare feet @GBBUDD - they won't cut anything. They're more brittle than they are sharp.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I"ve stepped on those empty shells with my bare feet @GBBUDD - they won't cut anything. They're more brittle than they are sharp.
living on the sea shore ok i'm not a thousand miles to the shore, i have stepped on many shells that's no picnic , that's been my experience, i guess fresh water is different , i stand corrected. but still no shells for me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They're so fun to watch though... like watching paint dry! haha! I don't know if it's freshwater that matters though - I had to get a half dozen stitches in my foot as a kid after stepping on a freshwater clam shell in a pond. Trapdoor snail shells are very thin by comparison.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
living on the sea shore ok i'm not a thousand miles to the shore, i have stepped on many shells that's no picnic , that's been my experience, i guess fresh water is different , i stand corrected. but still no shells for me
I don't know how you will stop them from coming as they can come on bird legs and plants and who knows what else? They might even be in your pond right now and you just don't know it. There are some really tiny varieties
snaily2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know how you will stop them from coming as they can come on bird legs and plants and who knows what else? They might even be in your pond right now and you just don't know it. There are some really tiny varieties View attachment 161208
I dip my plants in a potassium pergonite bath before they go in the pond. I have seen them and leeches and loaches come in with plants. So far so good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I dip my plants in a potassium pergonite bath before they go in the pond. I have seen them and leeches and loaches come in with plants. So far so good.
Just set out a tray of that PP stuff by the pond w/a sign so when birds, critters go in they can dip there feet into it :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JUST LIKEV THE JAPANEESE KOI DEALERS

Ask a Question