Snails? Yes? No?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Again, I'm sorry for so many questions, but there is a wealth of knowledge on here! Was thinking about adding some snails once I get things established again. For what reason? Was thinking they would help with some of the surface algae and maybe some of the muck. But now I don't know.

I do know carpet algae is good, and apparently some muck is good too. Any opinions??

Again I'm sorry about so many posts with so many questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, I agree, trapdoor snails are good. If you get any of the small black snails, and have fish, the fish will take care of those. I got a bunch of trapdoor snails maybe 4 years ago, and I think my koi thought they were snacks, or at least the smaller ones. I do see several of the big ones in my goldfish pond, though. They have live babies and are winter hardy, too. I doubt you will see much "cleaning" done by them, but every little bit helps. About the only benefit of muck in the bottom of a pond is for beneficial bacteria to reside. I much prefer having it in other more "clean" areas, though. I net out as much muck as possible a couple of times a year.
Welcome, BTW! Glad you are enjoying our group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Snails can have benefits. I used to get black muck on my waterfall and the snails would always clean it. Also baby snails provide food for small fish. One thing. I would be careful where you get them from. They can transmit disease and bacteria pretty easily. I actually only add new things to my pond from very reliable sources and have found the health of my fish is better for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Snails produce almost as much waste as they "clean". Which isn't a problem, just understand that they will add to your bio-load. I love snails. I had 1,000's of pond snails last year, this year ZERO, and trust me I've looked in every gross crevice. lol Trap door snails are the preferred species as stated by others. But like CometKeith said they are know to carry diseases and other nasties.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had trap door snails for years now, some are HUGE! and a bunch of other snails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One year I bought a few apple snails from a local pet shop and all my fish got sick almost immediately after and I ended up losing most of them. It was too coincidental. I stopped buying stuff except maybe a few floating plants every year My pond is none the worse. My fish multiplied 10 fold and my plants multiplied 100 fold!

Ask a Question