morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I was getting a little excited to obtain some Japanese Trapdoor Snails for my newly remodeled pond, but quickly discovered they are non-native invasive species and on the Restricted list in Wisconsin. I imagine other states are similar?

USGS Fact sheet on them:
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=1046

WI DNR aquatic invasive species list:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Invasives/species.asp?filterBy=Aquatic&filterVal=Y&catVal=AnimalsReg

So, grab some Melantho snails instead. A snail is a snail is a snail, in my opinion.

Nobody sits on the edge of their pond watching the snails.

It's like watching paint dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the info about invasiveness issues. I have been wondering about people who have koi in their ponds in my area, specifically a very large pond next to a well known restaurant in Effingham. We all know that koi will reproduce when given the chance, and in a very large pond, I can only imagine how many thousands of eggs are laid. No clue how many of them survive, but when we get torrential downpours, and that pond overflows into the overflow pipe, where are some of those fry going?
I have wanted to put some "extra" koi into my farm pond, which is maybe only 6' deep at the deepest point, but know that when it overflows into the ditch, and runs into whatever stream, which might go into whatever river ... I don't want anyone coming back at me someday and accusing me of causing them to end up in other water sources.
I have, however, put water lilies in my farm pond, and OMG are they gorgeous! Guess they love the muddy bottom more than my pots with cat litter. LOL

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So, grab some Melantho snails instead. A snail is a snail is a snail, in my opinion.

Nobody sits on the edge of their pond watching the snails.

It's like watching paint dry.

The point is to have a snail in the pond that will give kids and their friends a "wow factor" upon spotting. The tiny half centimeter snails in the pond now are the hidden little guys, nobody sees them or knows they are there, nor cares if they see them. Some inch long giants will stand out and light up their faces!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yep I see that, clumped in the "Common Carp" category. I'm now wondering what their true definition of Restricted really means. In googling "Japanese Trapdoor Snails", the first online petstore I looked at said unavailable to ship to Wisconsin. That was the only state listed. Garden centers and petstores sell Koi here.

One of the listings does include Koi in a special Restricted category (and look, there's the Chinese banded shark):

2. Nonnative viable fish species in the aquarium trade
a. Acipenser ruthenus (Sterlet)
b. Carassius auratus (Goldfish)
c. Cyprinus carpio (Koi carp)
d. Leuciscus idus (Ide)
e. Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Weather loach)
f. Myxocyprinus asiaticus (Chinese hi-fin banded shark)
g. Rhodeus spp. (Bitterling)

Sheesh they may as well stop ponds from having fish at this rate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome Lizard 3.jpg
@mjk

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@mjk Old thread. You can do an Internet search for: buy Japanese Trapdoor Snails. I got mine online, but was so long ago, I don’t recall where.

Hello and welcome!

Ask a Question