snakes

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OH no! Awww I hate to hear that! I saw on one of the Vet police TV shows about that happening. I think they caught it in time but it had a bunch of rocks clogged inside it's intestines. That's so sad and really what can you do to stop them?

Reaction score
I know - it was impossible to stop him - he was so obsessed with rocks. And he would also scratch at the rocks until his feet bled. Crazy - he was a great dog, great personality (besides the obsessive rock thing!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cute turtle fishin! My little yorkie hunts for turtles, she has seen a few here, now she checks out every clump of grass to find more. Not that she can do anything to them.

Reaction score
I love snakes! LOL I can picture that turtle being bounced around. You will have to get a video of feeding time.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
I like snakes for their purpose.. they eat rodents.. Still they give me the heebie jeebies and the venomous snakes make me nervous when I get out camping with my kids.. we're rattle snake territory and my kids, they don't stop much to question and just slosh on through.. Snakes get freaked out and bite out of fear and to protect themselves as well... Barn owls, snakes.. (cept for the venomous ones are all good in my book).

Fishin4cars, turtles just show up in your pond? COOL! I live in a residential area so the only things that "just show up" are coopers hawks, sharp shinned hawks, and one time a grey heron... oh and raccooms, skunks, oppossum and coyotes.. (we live near a public golf course) and a huge park area.

The first thing I did when I moved into my home was build a 6ft fence (with an extra 2ft dble lattice for privacy).. so no raccoons, skunks can get into the yard.. besides we have dogs.. so I'm sure the dog scent keeps the wildlife at bay.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Jagan, got news for ya! You can't build a fence high enough to keep raccoons out!!! John

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm in a residential neigborhood too. Turtle showed up after a rain, stayed for a few weeks and off he's gone again. I have fenced in yard with three dogs, two pretty large Labs. The racoon just waits till they come inside to visit. he just hasn't figured out how to avaoid the driveway alarms yet! LOL

popeye46

Frogville
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Killing snakes is a reaction of fright. I've had to terminate a few but I try and relocate if possible when it's a type that doesn't need to be in my yard. Of Course venomous need to be removed as they could hurt another pet, a child, or even my wife and I. water snakes I have to relocate as they get large enough here to actually catch fish and can be pretty aggresive and even though not poisonous can leave a nasty bite.
I did a snake, lizard, and turtle show years ago for elementary schools. Doing research to teach the kids I learned a lot of of good reasons for snakes. But one thing that has stood out in my mind from that learning. Did you know that there are 100 times more humans deaths in the US alone related to rodent diseases, than there are total snake bites (Venomous and non-venomous combined!) In the world in a year?
Snakes are #2 in rodent control behind birds of prey in the US, and are the #1 rodent controllers in most parts of the world. Another fact that made me think long and hard about killing snakes, Out of every 100 snakes a human will see in the wild in the US, the chances are one out the 100 being a poisonous one.
These are some more interesting facts, Your more likely to get struck by lightning than being bitten by a venomous snake, On average there are about as many venomous snake bites each year in the US as shark attacks. Your far more likely to be killed in a car accident going to work or coming home from work than you are being bitten by a snake at all. And one last really interesting fact. If you were able to go back and go year by year, there are more years of people dying from heart attacks triggered by the site of a snake than people that were actually killed from a snake bite. Back when I read this is what something like 8/10 years or something like that.
Although snakes have been considered as dangerous, and evil since early times of man and the bible, Snakes are actually far more beneficial to humans alive than dead and without them we as humans would be far more likely to die from the plague, bacteria diseases, and flea bite infections with out snakes and birds of Prey.
Very well said, I created a storm on another post when I stated they should be moved and not arbitrarily killed. Wish I would have read your post and referred it to them prior to posting mine. Oh well enjoyed your post and agree whole heartedly just wish more people would do some research and learn their benefits. thnx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@popeye46 And this one is even older.

There's no storm. This isn't that kind of forum. We are a bunch of friendly folks just sharing experiences and helping each other out. I appreciate and understand your viewpoint.

Ask a Question