addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that! I have used litter for 10 years without issue, have never used soil of any sort.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did you have plants potted in soil? What type of soil was it? Garden mixes often have fertilizer as well as other things that may not be safe to use in ponds.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I realize I'm a bit late chiming in on this topic, but here's my 5 cent's worth. (Canada no longer uses pennies!) I've been into water gardening for about 55 years, have raised many beautiful water lilies as well as other plants, and believe me, NOTHING has been 'sterile'! Early on, I used any heavy clay soil I could get, then garden soil mixed 50/50 with kitty litter. When I started working at the garden center, we carried a product that was just fired clay (terracotta) pellets about 1/4" to 3/8" in size. It was rather expensive, and plants grown in it had to be fertilized more often than those grown in soil.
I DID say "water gardening", right? I am not a koi keeper, because I prefer a planted pond over a swimming pool full of colourful koi. Just my personal preference, and IF money was plentiful, I'd have one of each!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make positively sure that you buy good and healthy transplants. It is much wiser to spend more money for quality plants that will return a hundredfold in produce to your work. Make sure as well to give the transplants a lot of water, or they will not survive to thrive. However, the growing season is not as long as many people may think, so you have to get the plants into the ground at the proper time, and they will hit the ground running!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
you are correct, thats why i always disinfect everything that goes into my pond..im sure YOU dont.if i remember right you dont even test the water. i think your key words are messy and stinky. this place is nothing but a water garden society, you guys know nothing about koi and fish keeping.. i dont loose NO fish NEVER......some of my fish have sold for over 15000 , i have fish older than you...im done with this place. i came here to help new people trying to raise koi...i wonder how many you have killed by just saying i never test my water...CHOKE ON IT IM OUT OF HERE.

Wowzers. I guess the forum name "GARDEN POND FORUM" wasn't a big enough clue, huh?

No worries @Joshaeus - you asked a fine question! Most everyone here has a "live and let live" attitude about how others do things in their own pond. I mean, this is supposed to be a fun, relaxing hobby. Poor Mike is all stressed out! But koi keepers tend to feel very strongly about their pond practices. That's why we always emphasize the difference between Dedicated Koi Pond and Eco-System/Garden pond. Night and day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also had to LOL at Mike sterilizing everything that goes into the pond... like the fish? How about the frogs that hop in? Or the birds that stop by? Or the dirt and leaves the wind bring sailing in? Bacteria is good for your pond - no need to fear it.

Ask a Question