sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tmann the coons love you .I think I may try that next year with my

dish network baths and make one a moss one .I have one right under a tree and have lots of pretty moss in the woods

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
moss would not survive here, in a bird type bath, we have so much sun, very little shade, unless I put it back in the woods where I could not see it anyways.

Reaction score
HI everyone

my pond is getting closer

we won the small pond with the spiller dish on ebay and are now looking at a larger one ot go with it....we have ideas of two ponds together with a moss bank inbetween

I am bidding on the next pond which is larger so things are quietly moving along....hubby whippersnipped the area where the ponds are going and we have taken measurements so we can plan exactly where everything is going....

I have spent this evening researching pond plants......

as soon as we start to work on the ponds I will post piccies

kind regards

Elizabeth

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can I ask why you decided on preformed instead of liner .I would think a liner would have been cheaper .

Reaction score
Hubby and I looked at using a liner but chickened out because we are so inexperienced and both quite impractical. We felt the prefprmed pond would be much easier for us to installjust using a level.

They are expensive to buy new but on ebay you can pick them up quite cheaply

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Elizabeth, I've read that many times...preforms seem easier than liner for most first time builders. Just one of those intuitive logic traps there seems no way around. There are many similar non-intuitive logic issues with ponds and water. But it generally doesn't matter much, it's not like preforms are a lot more difficult to install, certainly doable. And it looks like you've chosen rigid containers and they're the easiest of the preforms. The thin vacuum formed ponds are much more difficult. And also yours are small which are easier. The larger the perform the harder. So I wouldn't worry any.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your right waterbug as to getting my first one level and keeping this part from sagging and that part from sagging was a nightmare .Every spring it seemed like one side or the other would sink and make it unlevel .The ledges would get uneven and sink and I had to worry if the plastic would crack because of that .I packed sand around the pond before I put it in and it would still shift and sink or raise up . With the liner no big deal just leave extra around the side and as it settled the liner would just move on it's own .No worrying there and liner was much cheaper .I have 3 preformed ones here now and one I'm using just for storage of some of the plants and testing out new ideas .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
why limit yourself with a preformed? flexble soft liners allow you the shape and depth variences that you want, not just whats in the prefab ones. with the preformed you need to dig to fit the liner, with a soft liner you need only make sure the liner is big enough. and the ground surface at ponds edge is level, and slightly higher than the surrounding area to prevent runoff surface water from getting in the pond .much easier and much more versitile, and forgiving! at least in my opinion!!

Ask a Question