Some fish problem, apparently

Reaction score
When I first noticed the bump, it looked like white bump with inflammation in the top part (i.e. very red), now it kind of recesed a bit and took this less pronounced color (did not take a picture back when I first noticed it, sadly, but it was looking much more scary).
I am checking the water in the QT pool daily and changing 30% to 50% every day to every other day (depending on what I am putting into it that day) and the parameters are all ok, there's no filter there to speak of due to all the antibiotics, that's why the frequent changes.
I had another goldfish with highly inflamed tail and pectoral fins, but it seems to be fully recovered now with all the antibiotics. I wonder if I should repeat maracyn2 in food, try some other kind that I have not tried before? I imagine doing an antibiotic bath would not work all that well for internal infection like that.

About the dorsal fin, I know it's not supposed to disappear overnight, but that's what happened, almost, when I caught the fish a month back, all of them had their fins in place, no fish was showing any finrot or anything, then about a week later I noticed this one was missing the dorsal fin, it was in exactly the same state as in the picture, and have not changed one bit for 3 weeks, I don't see any inflammation or anything else wrong on it other than the fin missing and bones sticking out. I would imagine finrot would take more than a week to eat away a dorsal fin like this, so something else must be at play here, but what?

Thanks for the diagrams, they resemble very much what I have with my antibiotics, I believe I've got my anchor worms problem under control now, just need to try and recover these last two problematic fish from whatever it is they are having problem with.

Reaction score
verygreen, I can't advise you; but I do want to give you kudo's for your efforts. It seems to me that you've come a long way in knowledge and research in the time you've been posting about your pond issues. I've got the give you a huge :beerchug: for all the good work you've done.

Dave has a perpetual diagnosis of 'foot-in-mouth' disease. Whether it is from not reading or jumping to conclusions, he can frequently come across too harsh. Though, he does have good information on koi health. So, don't take his criticism personally, he treats us all like this.

Reaction score
I agree with the hypothesis that this is a microbial and/or fungal problem. Your water test results do not suggest water toxins, eg nitrates/nitrites, chlorine, ammonia etc.

I did not hear you mention any plants. My pond is rather shallow, so I have a terrace with potted marginals. I also have some water hyacinth.

Remember, even with zero fish, stagnant water turns into fetid water. In an outdoor environment, you're going to get dust, mold spores, pollen, bird droppings, etc. While aeration is vital, so is circulation. And filtration is a must. Without adequate circulation and filtration, it's not a question of if you'll get diseases, but when and how bad.

From what I understand, the absolute minimum for a pump is the pond volume gets pumped and filtered every 1 or 2 hours. My pond's volume gets pumped and filtered every 10 minutes. One man (Charles) pumps his pond capacity every 6 minutes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is somethng confusing me about this koi photo which I can put my finger on (what the hell is it ) aha I've cracked it look at the first photo you see the stump and nothing just a smooth surface .
Right look at the second one not at the dorsal fin but at the koi's side , you see the little black dots that appear to be on the side of the koi but over the colouration???
Ok this is the preliminary sight of this koi's infection taking out the dorsa with it at the same time.
Now I have a strong feeling that this is the smoking gun that we have been looking for do you agree ?
This was most probably the problem that sarted everything off in the begining.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I do not have any plants in my QT pool for obvious reasons. I have a single water lily in the pond (butchered badly by a stray snapper turtle last week, sigh).

I have a 30gpm pump in my QT pool, that's only 680 gallons or so, so it should be plenty for the circulation/aeration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ouch do I come cross as harsh I really sorry I've never been told that before I thought I was being nice to you guys the KKU website I ran for three years was noted for its good will to people not swearing etc.
Might it be my grownding is in koi ?
I perplexed oh no sorry guys I thought I was being nice but I asure you the knowledge given is from mny hours of study over the last 27 years

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dave, I do not see what black dots you are referring to. Note that in the second dorsal fin picture, I applied some bio-bandage already (and it's of dark blue color, as it contains malachite blue) and I see tiny drops of it all around the side and the bone is most covered too. The first picture does not have anything applied yet and I don't see any dots there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I love being right verygreen but I also love being wrong too why because I learn from my mistakes we have a product that acts as a bandage here in the UK its called Koi Clear Gel. Is this bio bandage something similar because you smear the KK Gel
from what it sounds you do the same thing with the bio bandage the first time I've heard this phrase before

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
Ouch do I come cross as harsh I really sorry I've never been told that before I thought I was being nice to you guys the KKU website I ran for three years was noted for its good will to people not swearing etc.
Might it be my grownding is in koi ?
I perplexed oh no sorry guys I thought I was being nice but I asure you the knowledge given is from mny hours of study over the last 27 years

rgrds

Dave
Dave, I think it's just that you don't speak English.....or is it the other way around.....whatever..... ;)

Reaction score
30 gpm=1800 gph for a 680 gal pond should be plenty. You're turning over the pond volume in approx 20 mins.
I suspect that you've been sold some sick fish. It might be worth a call to your state dept of agriculture or local health dept. I have a pond that I've stocked entirely with "feeder" goldfish, who have a notoriously high mortality rate. Out of 24 bought over the last 10 months:
10 are thriving and healthy
2 disappeared and are presumed taken by a predator
4 got sucked into the pump because of a split intake tube
1 jumped out of the pond and suffocated
1 was a fantail that shouldn't have been in a pond (newbie mistake)
2 died within a few days of being acquired
2 died in the spring after surviving the winter
2 died because of a pH crash in my qt tank
None of the fish who died of natural causes had any evidence of disease or injury. I lost more fish to predators and accidents than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mmathis said:
Dave, I think it's just that you don't speak English.....or is it the other way around.....whatever..... ;)
I speak English but not American English which I believe is the Purer form of the spoken word :bowdown: :banghead3:

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with HTH on that if you can try to cover the intake tube in any QT fasility because sick fish will end up getting sucked into the tube , you can buy the type of thing you'll need for this from one of the large hardware stores that ae about .
Its just a simple question then of affixing it into place thus safeguarding your sick fish.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question