Some Help Choosing Pond Plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In the UK/Irish climate, yellow irises do really well, and are greedy for nutrients. I'd also recommend Marsh Marigolds, Caltha Palustris . They spread quickly and form good size clumps.

A place in the UK I recommend is https://www.pondplants.co.uk/index.php I've used them for years and they are a class act. Good quality plants at reasonable prices.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I'm familiar with chemistry flasks, albeit from my school days, a while ago! That said, I've never come across and couldn't visualise a pond with a profile like that so that's why I questioned your statement. How on earth is the edge stabilised, what materials is the pond made of? It's surely got to be concrete......Is there a reason and can you tell us of the benefits? Sorry for all the questions, it's got me intrigued!

My water hyacinths have really taken off this season. I overwinter the largest ones in water in pint plastic glasses in my g/h. Last year there were three to save. I now have 20. They don't need any soil so that's a bonus as my koi can't dig them out :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm familiar with chemistry flasks, albeit from my school days, a while ago! That said, I've never come across and couldn't visualise a pond with a profile like that so that's why I questioned your statement. How on earth is the edge stabilised, what materials is the pond made of? It's surely got to be concrete......Is there a reason and can you tell us of the benefits? Sorry for all the questions, it's got me intrigued!

My water hyacinths have really taken off this season. I overwinter the largest ones in water in pint plastic glasses in my g/h. Last year there were three to save. I now have 20. They don't need any soil so that's a bonus as my koi can't dig them out :)

The reason is i wanted more volume in pond, due to the lack of space. Once the water is in it would press against the sides, plus i think your over exaggerating it. Its just a slight bulge, not a under water cliff :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Admit I have missed your pics above, that would have told me that it's a liner you have in place and not a concrete shell, still, it's an unusual concept, but if it works for you.......

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Admit I have missed your pics above, that would have told me that it's a liner you have in place and not a concrete shell, still, it's an unusual concept, but if it works for you.......

Why do the walls have to be straight down? I don't see why its a unusual concept to be honest. I'm just trying to get the max volume which is good right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Maximum volume would have been better by digging deeper, but maybe there was a valid reason why you didn't do that, you never said.
As mentioned before it's for stability of the pond or shelf edge. Usually the walls of a flexible liner pond are sloping, giving a base that is less than its surface area. Most preformed liners also have this feature. Ask any of the members here, I know none of them personally, but I'd bet that no one has a pond with an undercut. Look at any pond digging info on the net, you will see the same profile time and time again..there's a reason. If as you now say it's not by a significant amount, it wouldn't have added that much volume anyway. Your original statement was that it had a 'much' wider base.
The liner may well be pressed against the walls due to the pressure of the water, but the edges of your pond could in time collapse behind the liner especially as the ledge is only 4 inches below the surface and unless it has support it stands a fair chance of failing...after all, the water pressure isn't that great at that depth.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why do the walls have to be straight down? I don't see why its a unusual concept to be honest. I'm just trying to get the max volume which is good right?
I can think of one good reason and it has to do with surface area -- the water that is directly exposed to air. This is where gas exchange takes place, so you want as much SA as possible -- and it's more important than total volume. A chemistry flask has much less surface area than a beaker, or a bowl (as in sloped walls).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Good point! Never occurred to me about gas exchange!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But isn't this thread about plants?

Maybe, pond shapes can be discussed in another thread, where that is the topic. Just trying to keep this one from going off-topic.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Indeed, I ask info about plants and i get ripped apart cause of my ponds shape.
Thanks to all that reply, i learned a lot. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Indeed, I ask info about plants and i get ripped apart cause of my ponds shape.
Thanks to all that reply, i learned a lot. Much appreciated.

It could have been worse.... you could have asked about water changes. You'd have been ripped, shredded and fed to the fish.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I can think of one good reason and it has to do with surface area -- the water that is directly exposed to air. This is where gas exchange takes place, so you want as much SA as possible -- and it's more important than total volume. A chemistry flask has much less surface area than a beaker, or a bowl (as in sloped walls).

I have 3600 air pump for 600l. I wouldnt worry about gas :)

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BNSQ16K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't go wrong for that price, i seen some ridiculous priced brands for same flow rates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@Magzire I have not ripped you apart, I merely stated a known fact based on info that you gave in your post. I also gave you info on plants that I felt would benefit your pond which is what you asked for. As I said...good luck.

Ask a Question