South Texas Backyard Oasis

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Life has been busy and I was doing some work on the house so I haven't made much progress on the renovations yet, but came across this pic from about 2 years ago with everything in full bloom.

lPO8sTA.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like some nice clear water. It appears you have restrained from overloading your pond .. nice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Thanks. The bog really seemed to work well before, so hopefully I get similar results after all the renovations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
congrads Looks tranquil. A little critique or fyi if you start thinking you have a leave the folds in your bog are in the 2" zone that water can whick UPWARD by it's self. A quick easy fix is to caulk the fold stoping the water. it works like a straw but no one is sucking it up it does it on it's own

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
congrads Looks tranquil. A little critique or fyi if you start thinking you have a leave the folds in your bog are in the 2" zone that water can whick UPWARD by it's self. A quick easy fix is to caulk the fold stoping the water. it works like a straw but no one is sucking it up it does it on it's own
Thanks for the tip!

It's interesting you say that because this pond is 8 years old and over the years there have been some days I lose so much water! My wife would suggest something was drinking water from the pond to which I would reply "Like what, an elephant!" I used to keep the pea gravel higher too, which caused more debris to pile up and my running theory is that the water was wicking out of the bog. I think I'll take the opportunity to caulk the folds before I finish it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
As promised - updated photos.

I'm working on digging out the berm I built up around the bog originally (2nd photo). I just don't have enough room in this area to use that space as I was. It's too hard to move around the pond with it there. I had it planted with chocolate chip ajugas which I absolutely loved, especially when they bloom. I will be putting a nice walkway around instead. Then I am planning to add a layer concrete to the cinder blocks vertically and carve them by hand to match the raised blocks I used on the pond section.

I still have decided on coping/capping since I don't like anything I have found. I want something formal yet natural-ish. I may make my own cap stones.

psraTnc.png
72icz9j.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make your own cap stones you can find on youtube and also one of the ponders on here made a video of how to make them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
and then you realize you are never done and you will see changes you want to make or things you want to add , BEEN THERE DONE THAT SINCE 2004 :)
Why do you think I dug it up after 8 years? :D

I was always wishing I dug it deeper the first time. I would have gone deeper this time but I was limited by existing liner and didn't want to redo all that. Hopefully next pond build will be on new property and MUCH bigger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take my word for it bigger requires more attention if your crazy about the settings like I can be. 5 years old and I'm adding more lights a shower a beach two walk ways and God only knows what I'll dream up next

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Take my word for it bigger requires more attention if your crazy about the settings like I can be. 5 years old and I'm adding more lights a shower a beach two walk ways and God only knows what I'll dream up next
Wish I had the space. I have huge plans for the next place! Almost can't wait.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
HERE is something you might like
What a coincidence you posted this as I was literally thinking about using pea gravel to make a cobblestone look. I'm also considering using a texture stamp but that costs money.

Ask a Question