Speaking of Winter

Reaction score
As you will note.. I am a newbie.. trying to determine the best methods to winterize my little pond.. So, far today, I have determined that creating a plastic over for the pond creating a greenhouse effect, is a pretty good idea, and it apparently works for others.. Also read about the small floating pond heaters, and a new concept of using black plastic balls that float on the surface.. They also help in the preventing the growth of algae..

This is our second winter with the pond, but the first winter for the Koi and plants that I don't want to loose.. Last fall before I could winterize, our neighbors cat had gone fishing and all of my gold fish were lined up on the rocks outside of the pond.. For some reason the cats aren't doing so well on fishing expeditions this year, and very difficult to keep them away from the pond..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good luck with winterizing, maybe it will be mild this year, been such a hot summer.

I made mine deep enough the cats would have to learn to dive to catch the fish, once we have some that is.

bummer about your fish last winter though.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
good luck with winterizing, maybe it will be mild this year, been such a hot summer.

I made mine deep enough the cats would have to learn to dive to catch the fish, once we have some that is.

bummer about your fish last winter though.

I was too.. the cat didn't try to eat them, just grabbed them out of the pond and had them all lined up on the rocks.. With the floating plants, the cats can't get to them.. I was surprised I had started with 8 plants in early summer and they have almost tripled, and line the outside of the pond.. That I believe was a good decision..

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mlee said:
I was too.. the cat didn't try to eat them, just grabbed them out of the pond and had them all lined up on the rocks.. With the floating plants, the cats can't get to them.. I was surprised I had started with 8 plants in early summer and they have almost tripled, and line the outside of the pond.. That I believe was a good decision..

Yes it was for sure, hid the fish from the darn cats. I do see raccoon prints on the edge of the pond all the time.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Yes it was for sure, hid the fish from the darn cats. I do see raccoon prints on the edge of the pond all the time.

We do have a wooded area behind the house, and I have seen quite a bit of wildlife out there, no raccoons yet, although I had seen something similar years ago.. We lived in the Gila mountains of NM, and about 300 feet above the a slow running stream on top of a mesa... I had taken trout out of the freezer that morning for dinner, and at the last minute.. no one wanted fish for dinner, so I had taken them outside in plastic wrap and put them in the trash.. When I walked out to the trash area the next day, I found all 12 of the trout lined up in-front of the trash can.. perfect order, so I anticipated a Raccoon had come by for dinner and lined them up.. why they weren't eaten I'll never know..

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LMAO they were not up to their standards............

We have to tie our trash lid down, the coons are in it if you don't, but it might be an opossum, not sure if they raid trash though. We are surrounded by woods after the woods are farms. Pretty rural near our house.

Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
My cats have never even tried to get the fish.
way I see it, cats can swim, and cats can catch fish, but not both at the same time.

This is true.. I haven't seen one of them swimming in the pond at least not yet..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When the cat hits the water he wont be thinking about fishing :chair:

Reaction score
DrCase said:
When the cat hits the water he wont be thinking about fishing :chair:

This is true... I set the rocks so some of the angle a bit, so its not solid ground encase they
decide to lean forward.. and the Koi are not as likely to go to close to investigate, especially through the plants..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
stroppy said:
well yes true in most cases but i do have a 2 year old cat that loves water !!

There is always one cat that has to be a show off :lol:

Ask a Question