So, speaking of pumps . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Still in the planning stages, but the basic facts are:
  • 10' x 6' x 2.5' Pond (~1120 Gal) to be filtered largely by 8' x 2' x 1' Bog (~ 120 Gal)
  • Assuming pump at the far end of pond relative to bog, distance to be pumped is approximately 10 linear feet and 3 vertical feet
  • Not planning on any other waterfall needs other than the overflow from the bog
So, I want to go ahead and purchase a pump. It sounds like I want to have a turnover of at least 600GPH, but given the configuration would 900 be sufficient?

And if so, would something like this be a good choice? http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Max-Flo-Waterfall-Filter-Pump/dp/B000HASBHC

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think the gph would work, but I don't use submersibles, so can't help you with that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have a Laguna submersible at this time. I have a Pondmaster and it is good but the Laguna is the one I want for the future. It takes less electricity. I have a 2500 gal pond w/ a 2400gph pump and I want a 4000 gph Laguna or whatever size it is, might be a 4200 gph not sure but I have a waterfall that I like the water to come out faster and harder but for what you want I think the 600 or 900 would be fine. You could go bigger and just use a y to divert excess water to a spitter or a fountain or whatever else you would want in the future. You can always tone them down a bit but you can't make them flow more once you buy the smaller ones.

Reaction score
But you can always buy a small pump, use it, then buy a bigger pump later, giving you a backup. I don't regret having a spare pump in my shed one bit. Gives me peace of mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I absolutely agree with buckry on this one. I actually have two pumps running constantly in my pond and an additional one in the garage should one fail.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have three in the basement, on standby, just undo the rubber connection, stick in a new pump, down for minutes, well might be a little longer than minutes.

Reaction score
Now I have 2 backups, replaced my last 900gph with an 1800gph, just to make the waterfall look beefier. Very happy with the look, and very happy to have 2 backup pumps. Although, that's going to be a really bad day when I use my backup and my backup backup pump. Probably never happen.

Ask a Question