Speaking of Turtles...

Reaction score
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having turtles in your ponds?
We have a resident population of Red Eared Sliders... Not just in our ponds but all over Northwest Montana...
Chuck

Reaction score
They don't bother the Brook Trout and I don't find them particularly interesting...
Just wondering if I should enter them onto my eradication list along with magpies and pigeons or leave 'em be...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had one small painted turtle that stayed around a while
But one day he walked away
He never caused any problems

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
As a rule, turtles will typically eat anything that they can get in their mouth, and anything slower than them. Just from my own observation, I think that they would do well in a large pond where they have a lot of room to move around and safely sun themselves.

Happy ponding,

Rich :afro::helm2::fish2:

Reaction score
Chuck Lewis said:
Sooo... Would you / do you keep them in your pond?

We had a couple of red-eared sliders in a large aquarium. We eventually gave them to someone who had a pond. I currently just have water and a few plants in my pond. Still under construction. Haven't decided whether we'll go out and get some turtles and/or frogs or not.

Reaction score
I have several Red ear Sliders (8), all in aquariums at this point. They will eat fish if they can catch them so I wouldn't suggest putting them in with any fish.

Reaction score
I have a Yellow-Bellied Slider. Got him initially intending to eventually put him in the pond. However, I've since decided he's an indoor-only pet for a variety of reasons.

- while YBS and RES overwinter just fine here in our city pond, I was worried about him not pulling through the winter - he was kind of expensive to risk it. I was also worried about predators getting him.
- after seeing what he does to his tank and the veggies I feed him, I don't want him anywhere near my pond plants lol. Turtles will eat just about anything. They especially love hyacinth and water lilies and will eat your pond plants.
- RES (and YBS) get pretty big and can and will damage and eat your fish.
- they are EXTREMELY dirty/messy - make koi and goldfish look tidy :sad:

If you've got a wild RES population, unless you're okay with them eating your plants and some fish, I'd probably try to discourage them from the pond area. Looking at your pond sizes, they probably wouldn't have an impact on your big pond, but might be a PITA for your small one.

Ask a Question